Question

Top Student
JerryofWV
Message 1 of 13 (1,721 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion usb not work with Windows 7

I have HP Pavilion dv9910us. I updated from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 as soon as it was released.

It worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. My two usb drives on the left side quit working. When I plug something into them their power light comes on, but they do not show up on the computer. I tried uninstalling the USB Root Hub but that did not help. Today one of the USB ports on the right side started doing the same thing. That just leaves one USB port working.

I am thinking about going back to Vista and see if they work, but I don't want to unless there is no other way.

Does anyone have any solutions.

PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 13 (1,686 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion usb not work with Windows 7

Have you checked Disk Management to see if you can assign a drive letter to the USB drive?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Top Student
    JerryofWV
    Message 3 of 13 (1,682 Views)

I used Device Manager to uninstall the usb ports but, I don't know how to assign a letter to the port.

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 4 of 13 (1,678 Views)

First, re-install the USB, then right-click My Computer, go to Manage, and then go to Disk Management, plug in the USB and see if it shows up there.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Top Student
    JerryofWV
    Message 5 of 13 (1,671 Views)

No it does not show up in the disk manager. It seems odd to me that three of the usb ports quit working. (not all at once but days apart)

It makes me think it is a software problem and not a hardware failure. That's the reason I was thinking about restoring Vista and see it it works. But, I hate to have to reinstall all of my programs and settings.

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 6 of 13 (1,665 Views)

Well if you have a USB device like a bootable USB or USB keyboard you could plug it in and see if the system recognizes it prior to Windows loading.  For the Bootable USB try pressing F9 at bootup to get to the boot options screen and see if the USB device is listed, then proceed to test the other ports in the same manner.  For the keyboard just press F9 or F10 to see if it will register the command and again test the other ports in the same fashion.  If the test is successful then you know the issue lies within the software.

• Top Student
    JerryofWV
    Message 7 of 13 (1,658 Views)

I am not using a bootable usb device. I am using my iPhone and my wireless mouse. The computer plays a sound when they are recognized. Only one of the four usb ports plays the sound and recognizes them when I plug them in.

Thanks for trying to help.

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 8 of 13 (1,653 Views)

Does your Wireless USB mouse work in the BIOS?  You could try testing it that way.  We don't want Windows to test it because we know the result.  The BIOS is independent of Windows and will give us a second opinion so to speak.

• Top Student
    JerryofWV
    Message 9 of 13 (1,648 Views)

I don't know how to test it in the BIOS.

I did boot up with UBUNTU. Just the one usb port worked.

I guess it is a hardware issue.

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 10 of 13 (1,636 Views)

[ Edited ]

That is also a good way to determine the issue.  So you have it narrowed down to the system board.  In the meantime you could always pick up a cheap USB Hub that would give you more ports.  Or ask Santa for one.  Happy Holidays.

• † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation