HP SimplePass Identity Protection & FireFox 4 (7377 Views)
Top Student
lordvader311
Message 1 of 15 (7,377 Views)

HP SimplePass Identity Protection & FireFox 4

With the release of Firefox 4 today I noticed that the HP Simplepass Identity Protection software is not compatible with Firefox 4 but is with IE9.  I was wondering if anyone has a clue as to when newer updated software may be released? Thank you.

LordVader311
"The Power of the dark-side!"
Honor Student
mpannu
Message 2 of 15 (7,001 Views)

Re: HP SimplePass Identity Protection & FireFox 4

"Thank you for contacting DigitalPersona. There will be no update releases
for DigitalPersona Personal in the future. There will be no updates for
Firefox 4 nor Internet Explorer 9. IF they work they work, if they do
not work with DPPersonal, then you will have to decide to either keep
DPPersonal and forgo Firefox 4 or IE 9, or vice versa. DigitalPersona
is leaving the consumer market and is focusing on business applications.
In fact, DigitalPersona Personal will not longer be supported after
Mid-April of this year.
We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause. Sincerely, Tech Team "

They sent me an email...

Honor Student
touchsmart2user
Message 3 of 15 (6,537 Views)

i have the same issue.

in my opinion the latest stable firefox is standard business software. i think its much better for ebanking and gmail than microsoft internet explorer.

my warranty has not expired yet.

please fix this problem.

thank you.

Top Student
BllFinkNC
Message 4 of 15 (6,415 Views)

HP Simple Pass Works Just Fine With IE 9, but...let's face it, it's IE. :-(

I've not found a solution for Firefox 4.0, yet...

Honor Student
pdmm
Message 5 of 15 (6,243 Views)

SERIOUSLY !!!!!HP!!!!! Now I have been waiting for some time now and you dont even provide a response to this problems, which affects thousands of users! I don't see  you replying officially to almost any topic in this forum.

I has become clear to me that HP is not a serious company. It is simply a organisational mess, with too many people who don't know anything about good service or customer care! Where is your professionalism here, HP?

My pc is less than a year old. I have warranty! If the product I buy doesn't work as it should you are supposed to fix it. Otherwise you should not implement features you cannot support fully. Simple as that!

Student
cautiousguy
Message 6 of 15 (5,880 Views)

I am the new owner of an HP Pavilion, running Windows 7, and have already encountered this problem.  Since Firefox is my favorite browser, the version I got when I downloaded as I was setting up my PC was Firefox 4.  Of course, the DigitalPersona software is incompatible with this browser version!  So HP sells me a product that includes hardware and software that is dead before I can really use it. Wow!  Since I am still under warranty, I have taken up the issue with HP support directly.  I hope we can get HP to pay attention to this issue!

Student
kaptainmidnite
Message 7 of 15 (5,641 Views)

If HP is waiting for a critical mass of complaints, maybe this one will tip the scales.  Immediately upon purchasing my new dm4t a few weeks ago, I installed the newest version of Firefox.  I'm not going to get into a discussion of the relative benefits of Firefox over Internet Explorer, but it is shameful if not outright fraud to bill the fingerprint scanner on my laptop and its accompanying software as possessing an interface with Internet browsers which is capable of logging me in to websites.  Internet browsers get updated; for HP to continue selling and marketing this hardware/software combination fully knowing that it is no longer being serviced or updated to interface in any meaningful way with current browsers renders the hardware/software combination not fit for any use.

I have contacted HP tech support recently and was given a slightly better prognosis than the ominous letter floating around from the maker of SimplePass (I was told that I should use the previous browser versions until HP came out with a fix; when that would be no one knew); however, the accuracy of any part of that statement is questionable.

Get on it, HP.  It's a great machine, but in principle, I hate being lied to and am within the return period.

Top Student
lordvader311
Message 8 of 15 (5,599 Views)

Nice to hear others are having this issue and not happy with HP or Digital Persona over this. Firefox is definitely a top notch browser and selling new hardware with incompatible software is not exactly good practice.  I highly encourage anyone not pleased to keep putting the pressure on. I think if this software is incompatible then some sort of resolution should be available whether new software or a monetary one.

LordVader311
"The Power of the dark-side!"
Top Student
Ram1h
Message 9 of 15 (5,422 Views)

Since DigitalPersona left the consumer-market, HP switched to EgisTec for providing the SimplePass software. They just recently launched a new version of SimplePass that provides support for Firefox 4

http://support.mozilla.com/ta-LK/questions/814397

Tutor
Jack_HP8540p
Message 10 of 15 (5,403 Views)

Ok, this is a good news.

But what with HP ProtectTools & Firefox 4.0?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation