Question

Tutor
Jero66
Message 1 of 39 (46,162 Views)

HP Simplepass not working with Windows 8.1

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I'm in the right section, so please tell me if I'm not.

First of all, here are my specs:

System Model: HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 8.1

Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600

So, I bought this computer with Windows 8 and I originally had some problems with Simplepass but I got it to work. I actually only use it to login to my computer from the lock screen. Since I've updated to Windows 8.1, nothing is working anymore. I can't use the fingerprint reader to logon (but the biometric device is visible and working in Device Manager).

So, I told myself that Simplepass probably reset it's database but here's what happens when I try to go in Simplepass. I can access Simplepass by using my Windows password (Master password). I now have access to the "Manage my websites" part of Simplepass. When I click on "Set up Windows Log On", it again asks me to put my Windows password. I then put my password in, but it says "The Windows logon password you entered does not match. Please try again." and I have the right password...

I've tried repairing Simplepass, reinstalling it via HP Recovery Manager and nothing has worked so far. I know that upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 made me use a Microsoft account instead of a local account...maybe that messed up Simplepass? I don't really care what I use, I just want to be able to use my fingerprint reader. On top of that, the new option with Windows 8.1 that lets us sign in using a fingerprint dosen't even respond when I click on it...

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

Jerome

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 39 (46,151 Views)

Re: HP Simplepass not working with Windows 8.1

Hi Jero,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

There are some issues with the upgrade - even if your system came with Windows 8.1, there are a bunch of HP products that are not updated yet for the new 8.1 environment.  It is a pain, but the truth is that some things take more time than others.  I do not work for HP, by the way, this is just my personal opinion.

Disclaimer:  I am not running Windows 8.1 at this writing;  I have some issues with the way in which 8.1 will treat some of my favorite setups...  I am not ready to commit to the discomfort.  Smiling.

You do have to be on the latest SimplePass to have a chance at all for this to work.

It appears that you are aware of the native Windows 8.1 fingerpring login service - this is a good thing.

I do not know personally if the fingerprinter, native or not, will work with that new "feature" of Windows 8.1 that wants us all to log in with our Microsoft password.

If you can get your system set back to a local login and then make sure you are running the latest HP Simplepass,  things may fall into place.

Latest HP SimplePass (at writing) is linked in the following file:

SkyDrive >> look for and open the file named:

Simple Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

I hope something here helps!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the HP Experts who are here to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Tutor
Jero66
Message 3 of 39 (46,140 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Dragon-Fur,

Thank you for your help!

My HP SimplePass is up to date (version 6.0.100.276) and was updated using your file.

I've changed my microsoft account for a local account and it doesn't seem to have done much. Actually the only remarquable thing is that while using the Microsoft account, the biometric device could been seen in the Device Manager and seemed to be working well, but now that I have changed for a local account, there isn't any biometric device... I now have an "Unknown device" with a yellow triangle instead... 

On another note, it seems that most people are able to use the now built-in biometrics logon feature that came with Windows 8.1. Since I only want to use the fingerprint scanner to login, I could only use that feature and forget about SimplePass. Hence, it's not working... I don't know if it's a compatibility issue with HP products or not... When using a Microsoft account (and while the biometric device was working...), I could see the option under "Sign-in options" and I could even click on it, but nothing happened when I did. With the local account, probably because there isn't any biometric device, I can't even see the option within the "Sign-in options".

For example, I can't find any of the options described in this link: http://blog.vtechsquad.com/2013/08/14/how-to-enable-biometrics-logon-feature-in-windows-8-1/

Thanks again for your time! It's very appreciated.

Jerome

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 39 (46,131 Views)

Jero,

The truth is that I am not yet willing upgrade yet to Windows 8.1 and right now I am working blind on this.  Silly way to support the s/w, I know.   I don't work for HP, by the way -- this is not their fault.  Smiling.

I know about just a couple of Validity drivers that are suitable for Windows 8.1 -- you would need to give me the Hardware IDs of the Biometric device so I can see if one of them are compatible to your hardware.

SkyDrive - find and open the file named:

Driver Hardware Ids of Biometric Device

I think this will work - assuming we can find a driver - it may be a matter of finding the combination of factors necessary for the setup.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” to the HP Experts who are here to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Tutor
Jero66
Message 5 of 39 (46,127 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dragon-Fur,

I've reinstalled the missing biometric device via HP Recovery Manager. Here is an overview of my situation as of now:

- I now am using a local account

- The biometric device is present in Device Manager

- The built-in biometric sign in option from Windows 8.1 is now visible but nothing happens when I click on "Add"

Untitled1.gif

- HP SimplePass in up-to-date

- HP SimplePass still doesn't "recongnize" my password when trying to access the "Windows Log On"

Untitled3.gif

As for the biometric device itself, its desciption is: "Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0050)" and its Hardware IDS is showed below (I can't post it here because of formating...) I don't know if it's normal to have two... but that's what's there.

Untitled.gif

Could it be possible that HP hasn't yet ajusted their biometric driver to work with Windows 8.1?

Again, many thanks for your help.

Jerome

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 6 of 39 (46,084 Views)

[ Edited ]

Jerome,

OK, got it.  You need the driver for device USB\VID_138A&PID_0050

Unfortunately, all I can find is the driver for Windows 8.  Unless there is a way to install it in compatibility mode and get it to work, I don't have a solution.

Windows 8 for this device:

sp61263 Validity Sensor V4.5.122.0 Win8

Running Drivers and Software in Compatibility Mode by AttackOfZaq

It is true that HP has not yet updated some of the drivers for Windows 8.1 -- and your Validity sensor device appears to be on that list of "not yet done" -- at least as far as I can find.  I am hampered by weak search tools and lack of access to HP databases, both of which may be contributing factors to my lack of success thus far.

Edits 28-jan-2014:  Added the Eagle Sensor for Windows 8.1

sp63418 Validity Eagle Sensor V 4.5.228.0 Win8.1

See: 

Simple Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

=======================================================================================

Things are improving all the time - when I do search for drivers, there are more for Windows 8.1 than previously; it may not be long before HP catches up with the demand.

You can call HP and ask the question, of course.  I should think that HP responds to customer requests; knowing the demand is out here may help move things along.

Meanwhile, I will continue to look around - this is one of my pet projects and I hate not having the answsers.  Smiling.  I will post back when I find the driver.

• You might be able to get around the "wrong password" by just removing HP SimplePass completely, rebooting, and then installing it fresh.  Unfortunately, this wipes out your Webcards -- unless you already made an Export / Backup (.tsd file) or at least a print out of the websites / passwords, you are going to lose these.
  • The only other thing I can think of to try and fix the wrong password would be to remove the BIOMETRICS setup, that is, disable it, perform the Hard Reset, enable the BIOMETRICS, reboot...  You might still need to "Repair" HP SimplePass through Right-Click in Programs and Features -- AND another reboot.
  • Remember that you do not need HP SimplePass to use the native Windows fingerprint in Windows 8.1 -- removing the HP SimplePass program, Hard Reset, boot and log in -- may just let that portion of the native fingerprint software start working again.

This is all guess work at this point.  I must get to a place where I can upgrade... :smileyfrustrated:

Good Luck!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Tutor
Jero66
Message 7 of 39 (46,065 Views)

Hi Dragon-Fur,

I've followed your steps:

1. Remove SimplePass

2. Disable biometrics (I wasn't sure what you meant here, so I disabled the biometric device in Device Manager)

3. Perform Hard Reset

4. Restart the computer

5. Checked the biometrics but it had been enabled automatically so nothing to do here

6. Checked the native built-in fingerprint software... still visible but non responsive when clicked on (as before)

7. Reinstalled lastest version of SimplePass

8. Repaired SimplePass using Programs and Features

9. Restart computer

10. Check SimplePass but the same problem remains

I would consider going back to Windows 8 but from what I can see, it seems pretty complicated to do so, right? And, I had saved a restore point before doing the update, but I think it was erased while updating...

As for the driver you mentionned, I don't really feel comfortable trying to install it in  compatibility mode since I'm not that tech savvy... :smileytongue:

So I guess I'll wait till HP or Microsoft solves this problem, or if you find out other possible solutions, I'll evidently be willing to try them out :smileytongue:

Anyway, besides this issue and the fan that seems to always be on (maybe it's always been that way and if I just started realizing it haha!), everything seems to be working fine with Windows 8.1.

Thank you very much for taking your time on this and have a great day!

Jerome

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 8 of 39 (46,027 Views)

[ Edited ]

Jerome,

Stepping back to Windows 8 is only complicated if you did not create your recovery media before you changed to the new Operating System:  Recovery media includes discs or the USB recovery backup drive, plus personal backups, and perhaps an Image of your system.  You would have benefited from making a Rescue disk and a Custom Refresh image.  In other words, going back to Windows 8 is as complicated as it can be --- or it is as easy as installing your Image, loading your backups, setting your environment...

I am not sure how updating a program could destroy the Restore Point -- this is, after all, the reason for making them in the first place.  Maybe the option works differently on the new OS?  Regardless, keep the instructions and do make the occasional Restore Point - the system is supposed to make them for you before Windows Updates and some other changes; it is best that you also make your own "point of return".

The setup required to run in Compatibility mode is not overly difficult -- but because the option may not work anyway AND because HP will probably provide an updated Driver for your machine to run with HP SimplePass,  it may not be important that you try it.

From what I have read, it appears that the setup to enable / disable the BIOMETRICS to allow Windows logon still exists.  Does the Operating System recognise the device because of a user installed Validity Sensor driver -- or would Windows 8.1 still recognise the fingerprint hardware device without you installing an extra driver?  According to the instructions (below), it depends on the fingerprint device - some devices may be recognised by the Operating System on its own, other devices may need an extra driver installed to be "seen".

Make sure your Windows 8.1 Updates are completely "updated" -  The logon process reportedly depends on the updates being on the latest revisions.

Reference: How to Enable Biometrics Logon Feature in Windows 8.1

• You might Uninstall HP SimplePass from Programs and Features AND Uninstall > Delete any Validity Driver from the Device Manager that you installed.  Keep copies of both around for later in case you want to install one / both.
  • Perform the Hard Reset to clear out traces of both the uninstalled software and the deleted driver (if any).
  • Boot the system and log in
  • Check for the native BIOMETRICS setting to find out whether Windows 8.1 recognises the fingerprint device on its own.  If the device is present, then Windows 8.1 can "see" the hardware - check the BIOMETRICS setting to assure it is "enabled".  See the example in How to Enable Biometrics Logon Feature in Windows 8.1 .
  • If you find the BIOMETRICS listing and the setting is enabled, then follow the rest of the instructions and see if the <Change PC Settings>, <Users>, <Sign-in Options> allows you to set up the logon.

What is the difference?   Removing the extra driver and the  SimplePass software may allow Windows 8.1 to find and set up the native fingerprint logon on its own.

What’s New in Biometrics in Windows 8.1

Click the Kudos Star!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Tutor
Jero66
Message 9 of 39 (46,019 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Dragon-Fur,

For the restore point, the one that was erased was the one I had made before updating Windows and I confirm that it was deleted (probably because the update is considered "Critical". There is another restore point that was created during the update, but I'm not sure if it's before or after...

Anyway, before uninstalling and deleting both the biometric driver and SimplePass, I just want to verify a few things:

- You say that I will be removing the "extra" driver... I didn't think it was an extra driver, I thought it was the original biometric driver since I have never added any drivers by myself... And when I look in Device Manager, there's only one biometric driver. You say: "Uninstall > Delete any Validity Driver from the Device Manager that you installed" but I didn't install anything.

- As for the enabling and disabling of the Biometric as showed in your reference, that was originally the website that I looked at, but I can't find any of the right options in my computer. I can't find any "Biometric devices" in the control panel and I can't find any "Biometric settings" either...  This is actually what I see when I look in <Control Panel> <Hardware> and sound:

Untitled5.gif 

And here is what I see when I go to <Control Panel> <All Control Panel Items>:

Untitled6.gif

And when I research "Biometric" in it:

Untitled7.gif

I don't exactly know what this all means, but I definitely don't have access to that... 

That being said, should I try what you've stated? And if so, could you kindly tell me how to keep a copy of the driver I'm going to delete and how to reinstall it, if needed?

Just to know if I understood correctly, there's supposed to be a normal built-in biometric driver/device and an extra driver (Validity Driver) that was added by a program like SimplePass, right? If so, well I have no idea where the original driver is and I fear that by deleting the Validity Driver, I'll be deleting the only driver I have for the fingerprint scanner.

As usual, many thanks!

Jerome

[EDIT] In one of your references, it says that: "The biometrics Control Panel that was present in Windows 7 and Windows 8 is no longer part of Windows 8.1 Preview. It has been removed from the operating system. Users will find new ways to access fingerprint management applications." So I guess that would explain why I can't find it, but now, where do you have to go to enable biometrics...

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 10 of 39 (46,009 Views)

Jerome,

I cannot yet see the images you posted - they may be awaiting moderator approval.  It is important that I see them; I wanted to respond because the approval can take hours and hours.

No matter; I think I confused the issue by moving too fast amongst my posts.

I forgot that you don't have a driver for 8.1 and that you probably never installed the Windows 8 driver (sp61263).

You do not remove what you did not install.

So we are probaby back in square one.  The system has to see the BIOMETRIC device - and if it does not see it, it cannot set it.  It means that we still need to find a driver.  Sorry about the lack of focus.  Arrgh!

You know... you might try installing the Windows 8  Validity sensor driver sp61263.  It may not work, of course, but if there is no BIOMETRIC device in there now, then you are not any farther down the rabbit hole than if you do not try.  sp61263 will either fail to install, or it will install and not work... or it will install and work.

sp61263 Validity Sensor V4.5.122.0 Win8

Yeah,  so create another Restore Point - it is best practice, after all.  Smiling.

Then install the sp61263 driver (do not worry about compatibility mode), reboot, and see what happens.

Don't yet try using SimplePass -- the goal is to have the system be in love with your Validity sensor driver so you can get the Windows 8.1 system to let you use fingerprint logon.

Sorry about the chaos.  I do admit to using you as a guinea pig to some extent.  I cannot yet test this myself.  Grrr..

OH, by the way, System Restore sometimes works better if you first drop the system into Safe Mode.  Hopefully, you won't need to use a Restore Point, but just remember this for the future.

Click the Kudos Star!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation