Question
HP Simplepass not working with Windows 8.1
Replies (38)

Tutor
Jero66
Message 11 of 39 (14,948 Views)

Re: HP Simplepass not working with Windows 8.1

Dragon-Fur,

For the images, I have edited my last message and changed the format of the images. Hopefully you can now see them.

I tried installing the driver... It started installing, the box said that 40 seconds were remaining, and then it just disappeared... I'm not sure if it installed or not, but after rebooting, there was still only one driver in "Biometric devices" (Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0050)) and the Windows fingerprint logon was still non fonctional. I did this twice and had the same result.

I wasn't sure if something had changed or not, so I went ahead and deleted the files related to that driver and performed a system restore from safe mode, just in case.

I still don't understand why I need another driver for this... What's the difference between the driver (or device) that I currently have (Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0050)) and the driver that you wanted me to install? I'm a bit confused here...

And by the way, I have no problem to being used as a guinea pig haha! :smileytongue:

Your help is very appreciated.

Regards,

Jerome

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 12 of 39 (14,943 Views)

Hi Jerome,

No difference - I wanted to see what the installation would do. ..

The problem seems to be that the native Windows 8.1 logon mechanics cannot deal with the current setup and wants a Windows 8.1 fingerprint driver in place - something we don't have right now (as far as I have found thus far).  I will start a more thorough search for a newer driver that may work.  The best case scenerio includes a new driver showing up in your system's website - saves the search.  Smiling.

I will post back when I find something useful.

I am also looking at what it is going to take to get onto Windows 8.1 - maybe some new hardware is in order.

Keep looking around - you may find the answser before I do.  I know this can work - HP won't leave us hanging on the line.  :smileyhappy:

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Tutor
Jero66
Message 13 of 39 (14,929 Views)

Dragon-Fur,

Just to give an update, I followed this guide to troubleshoot my fingerprint scanner. Thus, I:

- updated my Bios to version F.35

- updated my Biometric device (Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0050)) to version 4.5.228.0 (sp63418)

Besides the Bios update causing some problems with Secure Boot (which I managed to solve), everything went smoothly. I just don't understand why I had to update these myself since HP Support Assistant said that everything was up-to-date...

Sadly, it didn't solve my problem and even though the biometric device seems to be "seen" by Windows, the option remains unusable. I find that pretty weird, since most of the people having problems with their biometric devices in Windows 8.1 either cannot see the fingerprint sign in option or can see it but the option is greyed out. In my case, I can even click on it, but nothing happens... As for SimplePass, the same problems remains also.

Untitled8.gif

Regards,

Jerome

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 14 of 39 (14,898 Views)

Jerome,

There are a number of things going on - at least as far as I can tell:

• Some computers have a compatible fingerprint sensor that can be run with the Native Windows 8.1 fingerprint logon mechanics.   For those machines, the built in fingerprint driver installed by the latest Windows Updates, seems to be enough.
  • For those machines in a particular list of compatible sensor types, there is a download available that addresses Windows 7, 8, 8.1 fingerprint logon, that is, fingerprint logon for Windows but without any support for website login.  The keywords are "compatible sensor type" - the download only addresses certain computers that have a particular sensor hardware built in.  Usually this is not an issue for folks as most of us want more than "just windows" logon.
  • For everyone else - one must depend on a third-party driver, like the Validity drivers that are normally supplied by HP.  The problem is that HP has not yet released all the drivers for the "everyone else" group for Windows 8.1 OS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do see that you found a driver for the Eagle Sensor for Windows 8.1 and dated 30-Oct-2013 >> good news!

sp63418 Validity Eagle Sensor V 4.5.228.0 Win8.1 64bit

[Operating Systems]

W8.164=OEM

[Devices]

USB\VID_138A&PID_0050="Validity Eagle Sensor(WBF) (PID=0050)"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, this is guesswork on my part.  I have deepened my search and have yet to find another way to do this - I still think we do need the updated compatible driver for your computer.

If you would like to try once again to force the Validity Sensor driver to work, you might try the following:

• Close all extra programs (email, Facebook, games, etc.)

• Remove the current Driver and Delete
  1. Windows key + X > M (Opens Device Manager) > BIOMETRICS > Right-Click on your validity sensor driver >
  2. Properties > Uninstall > in the prompt to remove the current driver >> tick the box to allow the removal >
  3. Proceed with the uninstall process

• When the uninstall is complete, shut down the system to prevent the kernel from hibernating:

Complete Shutdown

1. Windows key > type anywhere on the Start Screen: command prompt >
  2. RIGHT-CLICK on the Command Prompt box that shows up on the left side of the screen >
  3. From the bottom ribbon, select "Run as Administrator"  > Opens the command line >
  4. If the User Account Control asks, click "Yes" to allow the command to proceed >
  5. In the Command Prompt window, type the following command: Shutdown /s /t 0

Reference: Shutdown Syntax

• When the shutdown is complete, perform a Hard Reset:
  1. Remove the AC adapter
  2. If the battery is not sealed, then remove the battery
  3. Press the Power Button for 30 seconds
  4. If removed, replace the battery
  5. Plug in the AC adapter

• Set the BIOS to Defaults
  1. Press the Power button to start the notebook >>
  2. Immediately tap repeatedly on the ESC key to force the notebook into the Startup Menu >
  3. Press F10 to get into the BIOS menu >
  4. Press F5 (or perhaps F9 -- follow the instructions for correct key) to Load Defaults >
  5. Use the Arrow keys to find and Select "Yes"
  6. Press F10 to Save Changes >> Use the Arrow keys to find and Select "Yes"
  7. Boot the system and log in

• Install the Validity Sensor Driver
  1. Find your downloaded Validity Sensor driver  sp63418 Validity Eagle Sensor V 4.5.228.0 Win8.1 64bit
  2. Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Install as Administrator"
  3. Restart / Reboot the computer and log in

==========================================================================================

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” to all the HP Experts who are here to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Tutor
Jero66
Message 15 of 39 (14,886 Views)

Hi Dragon-Fur,

Thanks for the update on the situation with HP.

I've tried the steps you mentionned, but again, neither the native fingerprint logon nor Simplepass is working. Nothing changed. I did exactly what was written except that I didn't click "Install as administrator" while installing the driver (the option wasn't there) but I clicked "Run as administrator" and I'm guessing that it's the same thing. :smileytongue:

It seems that we're at a dead end here, at least until HP releases updated drivers that is. Again, thank you for your help and if you have new ideas, I'll test them out haha!

Regards,

Jerome

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 16 of 39 (14,747 Views)

[ Edited ]

Jerome,

Considering that the installation of SimplePass should be a brand new install, I do not know why it is not matching the password. 

There are differences in keyboards (international) and there are certain weird characters that the database may not be able to read / decipher.  The cipher used to encrypt / decrypt information is smart, but it may not be "real smart".

• Have your tried changing your windows login password to 123, rebooting, "Repair" SimplePass, another reboot, and ... try again?

Edits  04nov2013

• What is your computer's Product Number / exact model?
  • Is your .NET Framework 3.5 installed and enabled?  

Example:

.NET Frameworks installed
    v4.5 Full
    v4.5 Client
    v3.5 SP1
    v3.0 SP2
    v2.0 SP2

To check .NET 3.5:

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off

You also need .NET Framework 4.5; this comes built into Windows 8.1 so it should be running / enabled. 

Check to make sure you are getting the Windows Updates for Framework 4.5 - there are a few of them by now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” to all the HP Experts who are here to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Tutor
Jero66
Message 17 of 39 (14,710 Views)

Hi Dragon-Fur,

I've tried resetting my Windows login password, as you said, and following your instructions, but still no success.

As for the information you've asked for:

Exact model: HP Envy TS 15 Notebook PC

Product number: E0K20UA#ABL

As for the .NET Frameworks, everything seems to be OK. Here's what I see:

Untitled9.gif

And the updates seem to be ok, since I have .NET Framework 4.5.1 (according to this website):

Untitled10.gif

Best regards,

Jerome

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 18 of 39 (14,705 Views)

Yeah... looks good.

• Have you tried creating a new account? 

The problem might be buried in your account somewhere.

You might add admin privelege to the account; it is a good idea to have more than one admin account anyway, in case you ever lock yourself out of your computer or the main account becomes corrupted.

Sorry if this is a repeat...

Click the Kudos Star! 

It is a great “Thank You” for the Author's efforts.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 19 of 39 (14,696 Views)

[ Edited ]

Jerome,

OK, "Now for something completely different."

Found this:

sp63474 HP SimplePass V8.0.051 Win7-8-8.1

================================== EDITS  06Nov2013 ===================================

• I tried SimplePass V8.0.0.51 today:
  • I created a Restore Point BEFORE starting the change over
  • Uninstalled SimplePass 6.0.100.276 and rebooted
  • Installed SimplePass V8.0.0.51

Results:

• I was able to configure SimplePass 8.0.0.51, but I was unable to get it to work properly. 
  • The V8.0.0.51 interface is different (not surprising) - it seems primitive and lacks the usual controls, although it is at least somewhat intuitive.  There is also a "help" file for the software - similar in detail to the very first HP SimplePass help file -- largely useless if things do not work as advertised.
  • Everything seemed to enroll properly, but it never actually allowed me to logon (to Windows) using fingerprint.
  • I set it to remember all websites and it seemed to accept that.
  • I tried to set it to my Yahoo email and tried it on both FireFox (v11.0) and on IE10 -- neither site allowed me to use a fingerprint to log in, although the site was "available" in what is called the Launch setting.   Comment:  It might have worked with the latest FireFox version -- I do have my defaults set to use FireFox; perhaps having tried the Launch with FireFox 11.0 jammed it from working with IE10.  I never pursued it fully.
  • I fought with it for a while, and just lost patience with it -
  • I recovered my previous setup using my Restore Point created for the purpose.
  • I had to "Repair" HP SimplePass V6.0.100.276 from within Programs and Features
  • I had to Import my .tsd file to clear out the last of the cobwebs.

More bad news: 

• SimplePass Version 6.0.100.276 Export .tsd file is NOT compatible with V8.0.0.51 -- you lose all your previous websites.  This is not entirely unexpected because the software is written by Softex / Omni and one would not expect this vendor to use the same database mechanics as were used in the AuthenTec software.
  • I think had I been able to get the software to work at all, I could have lived with the loss of my previous website settings.

Conclusion

• I will try this again later when I feel like I can spend the time on it. 
  • I suspect a Hard Reset might have been in order to clear out the residuals after I unintalled V6.0.100.276 -- had I done this, and maybe "repaired" my Firefox installation with a new install or at least an overload of the same version, HP SimplePass V8.0.0.51 might have worked.

======================================================================================

So, if you want to try it, create a new Image, back up your personal files, create a Restore Point, and go for it.

You might make sure you have a Export / printout of your webcards (websites and passwords) -- this code may not be compatible with the Export .tsd file.

Reference:

How to Create and Restore System Image Backups on Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 Tip: Use System Image Backup

Click the Kudos Star! 

It is a great “Thank You” to the Author.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Tutor
Jero66
Message 20 of 39 (14,685 Views)

Hi Dragon-Fur,

Just to let you know, I've tried creating a new admin account, to no avail. The same two problems remain.

As for the new SimplePass software, I'm willing to try it out, but I don't really have the time as of now. When I can, I'll create a System Image Backup, install the new software and give an update here.

If it doesn't work, too bad. If it does, great news, but even then, it won't explain why the native Windows fingerprint option isn't functionnal... 

Anyway, I'll post back here as soon as I can.

Many thanks,

Jerome

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation