Question

Intern
Dragon280
Message 1 of 6 (5,102 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Support Assistant BIOS update problem

I've had problems with BIOS updates through HP Support Assistant.  HPSA gives me BIOS updates; in fact, two of them, even though the BIOS is already up to date at F.23 (see this link, under BIOS).  On one previous update, the system flashed an old version of the BIOS, F.14, which was promptly corrected.  I'm not willing to reboot the Wyvern to perform meaningless BIOS flashes, so can you give me some advice?

--Dragon280

HP Pavilion dv6z Select Edition "Wyvern": AMD Phenom II X4, 2.0 GHZ; ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650; 8GB DDR3 RAM; 640GB hard drive; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (5,069 Views)

Re: HP Support Assistant BIOS update problem

Hi,

Personally, I would not use HPSA to recommend bios updates considering the possible outcome of a bad flash.  If you do need to update your bios, download the flash utility directly from the HP Software and Downloads page for your notebook.  Most of the time, bios updates are unecessary and if HPSA has already offered you an older bios version, I would ignore its suggestions in the future.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
Dragon280
Message 3 of 6 (5,034 Views)

Thanks!

--Dragon280

HP Pavilion dv6z Select Edition "Wyvern": AMD Phenom II X4, 2.0 GHZ; ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650; 8GB DDR3 RAM; 640GB hard drive; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Grad Student
HPSAwizard
Message 4 of 6 (4,804 Views)

HP Support Assistant looks at the version of the BIOS you have installed on your system and offers up any newer versions as they become available.   You should only see one BIOS update offered at one time.   If you are seeing more than one version, it is best to visit HP.com Support and Drivers.   You can download the latest BIOS from the BIOS updates listed for your product.   This should remove the updates from HPSA after you refresh the Maintenance screen.  

HP monitors the performance of all downloads to assure a quality maintenance experience.  If you experience a problem, you can report to HP using the Feedback button in HPSA.   You can also contact HP using Get Assistance.

HP BIOS updates are only released to correct problems reported by users. For optimal performance, you should keep your BIOS up to date.  

I work on behalf of HP.

Click on Kudos if you like the response.
Student
ScoobiesDoobies
Message 5 of 6 (4,555 Views)

Re: About the HP Support Assistant BIOS update problem

Hi Peoples. I've had no problems with updating my BIOS through HPSA. HPSA gives me 1 BIOS update & thats it. If i got 2 BIOS updates id look for the latest version & then look at what version what it is i have to download well then i download the BIOS update through the HPSA & install it & have had no problems so far what so ever. Better touch some wood lol. Even done my mates laptop & his is a Toshiba which his BIOS updates are downloaded through the Toshiba Service station. I recommend not downloading the BIOS update manually unless you are an advanced I.T user & know what you are doing. Once you flash your BIOS & if successful well cool but if it is a bad flash well lets just say you will need to go out & buy a new PC. Trust me peoples. From experience. If u dont hear the POST (Power On Self Test) well ya comp is stuffed. Literally.

ScoobiesDoobies
Student
SuZliK
Message 6 of 6 (4,517 Views)

Re: About the HP Support Assistant BIOS update problem

Hey!

I have a similar problem, but not quite the same...

I got HP ProBook 4530s and i have the latest BIOS update downloaded from here .

HPSA gives me the notification, that i need to update my BIOS and when i agree to it, it doesn´t DL it, but skips it. - It has happened twice already.

What can the problem be here? Why does it give me false information, that i need to update BIOS (and then doesn´t do anything...)?

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation