Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6T
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HPSA says that there is a newer version of the support assistant, but when I click on it to install, it does not install it.

This is the screenshot showing what I get after attemting to update to the new version. How do I fix this?

screenshot1.png

HP Spectre x360 convertible - 15t-ch000 CTO, product 2FW62AV. Intel (Kaby Lake H) i7-8705G (3.1 - 4.1 GHz, 8MB Cache, 4 Core, + Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics (4GB GDDR)16 GB DDRS-2400 SDRAM , 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (Toshiba), 15.6 4K IPS, Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo. Windows 10 Pro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DennyC

HPSA version 7.6.x is perfectly acceptable in my opinion - and by staying with the Version 7.x, your HPSA still provides the Tune-up feature, something that is missing in the latest HPSA V8.x series.

For future reference, you can - if you like - download and install .NET Framework packages from Microsoft.

Examples:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer)

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (Offline Installer)

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 (Web Installer)

Side Bar:

You might consider downloading copies of all your latest Windows 7 Drivers from your notebook's Support Page - these support pages tend to stick around... until they don't.  You can save the copies on your computer in case needed later.  You can either change the name of each .exe file to include a description of the driver, or you can download and keep a copy of the support page.  You can also check the Properties of each of your downloaded .exe file to see the name of the contents.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC

Also, grab a copy of your User and Maintenance Guides and anything else that you find of interest, say one or more of the How-to documents.

User Guide - Windows 7

HP Pavilion dv6 Entertainment PC Maintenance and Service Guide

HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives Identifying, Preventing, Diagnosing and Recovering from Drive Failures Care and Maintenance Measures

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@DennyC

You might try downloading and installing from the HP Support Page:

HP Support Assistant

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I've already been there. I could get the download, but it too would fail to complete the install. What's weird is I have another identical laptop that my wife uses, and it installed with no issues on hers. 

HP Spectre x360 convertible - 15t-ch000 CTO, product 2FW62AV. Intel (Kaby Lake H) i7-8705G (3.1 - 4.1 GHz, 8MB Cache, 4 Core, + Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics (4GB GDDR)16 GB DDRS-2400 SDRAM , 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (Toshiba), 15.6 4K IPS, Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo. Windows 10 Pro
HP Recommended

@DennyC

Rats - stubborn code.  :Crying:

You could try first uninstalling the existing HPSA version from Programs and Features.

After you uninstall the program, shut down the computer and boot / log in.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I tried that too. Tried both the uninstall and ms fixit. I could get it uninstalled, but my system just will not buy the new version.  I used admin privileges to install. 

HP Recommended

Well, I've decided to just do away with HPSA.  My laptop is going on 3 years old anyway and it's been a long while since i've actually received any updates.  That and the fact that after re-installing the previous version, it wouldn't work right either.  No point in having it take up resources for nothing.  I've also bit the bullet and uninstalled some other software items that I think are questionable.  Launch Box, Setup, and Setup Manager.  Could be my imagination, but my lappy seems happier, and boots quicker.  So I'm good to go.

HP Recommended

@DennyC

I have to say that I agree with your decision in this case.

The advantage to the program is primarily a centralization of system updates -- and in the case of the HPSA version 8.x -- the troubleshooting pointers.   You can certainly keep track of these manually.

If I do come across a reasonable means of resolving this, I will post back.

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Thanks.  I'd really appreciate that.  When it comes to my computers, I tend to get real focused on keeping things on par.  Why my laptop messed up here and my wife's didn't is probably going to haunt me to my grave <g>. 

HP Recommended

@DennyC

One thing that occurs to me:

You might consider that the .net framework is not at a version that supports the latest HPSA.  This is a guess, of course.

You could try installing a newer version.

Remember to create a Restore Point before you make any changes:

System Restore Overview

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Thanks for still working on this. Both machines have the latest .Net Framework.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.