Question

Tutor
daydr3am3r
Message 1 of 7 (3,316 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP_TOOLS partition after updating HP System Diagnostics (UEFI)?

Hi

I bought a Compaq HP 6730s about 2 and a half years ago. Last time I installed Windows was in 2009, when I switched to Win7 Pro x64. I usually keep my system up to date so I decided to use HP Softpaq Download Manager to see what's new since I haven't done so in about a year. While updating HP System Diagnostics (UEFI) I noticed the installer start creating a new partition using DISKPART. It took 2Gb from E:\ and created a new partition HP_TOOLS (H:\).  First of all, was it really necesary since I only had 3.5 Gb free space on E:\? Besides, the older version of HP System Diagnostics (UEFI) didn't use any separate partition. Second: is it really necesary to keep it or it's only something temporary partition created to facilitate the update process (altough this doesn't make any sense to me), meanning I can simply delete it and merge it back into E:\.

Third: in case deleting HP_TOOLS is not recomanded, can I at least hide it using Local Group Policy Editor?

Thank you! 

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 7 (3,239 Views)

Re: HP_TOOLS partition after updating HP System Diagnostics (UEFI)?

The latest version of HP System Diagnostics (UEFI) installer gives an option to either install on hard drive or on a USB flash drive depending on your needs. I would personally recommend not to delete HP_TOOLS partition as its helpful during BIOS update process in case if you would like to do a rollback etc.

Also HP_TOOLS partition is useful in running F2 (System Diagnostics) in case of any emergencies when required. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Tutor
daydr3am3r
Message 3 of 7 (3,237 Views)

Thanks for you answer. Unfortunatelly I wasn't given the option to isntall on a USB drive. I used HP SoftPaq to update the system so apparently it was set on silent install. Also, I noticed the extra options in the System Diagnostic menu on boot so I decided to keep the partition and just hide it.

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 4 of 7 (3,226 Views)

I am assuming you must have installed SOFTPAQ(sp52407) and during the installation, it gives a screen something similar shown in picture below.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Tutor
daydr3am3r
Message 5 of 7 (3,222 Views)

Nope, no screen. I selected what I wanted to update from HP SoftPaq Download Manager and all I could see was a progress bar. Not event telling me what was installing at the time. Everything was silent till DISKPART started. When everything was done the progress bar dissapeared and that's it. No messages, no options.

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 6 of 7 (3,207 Views)

You were using HP SoftPaq Download Manager which installs updates using recommended settings and I was referring to installing SOFTPAQ by going to HP website and by manually downloading them. 

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
misiozol
Message 7 of 7 (2,229 Views)

hello it seem that it gives me error no disk space available istalation will not continue , i'm using sp52509 or 51856 same error and i do have unpartitioned space on disk at leas 500gig of free space what is configuration and place on disk where uefi goes is be for system or after system drive i'm trying to instal it on disk to have option of disk recovery laptop is DV7-2185dx and someone have leleted HP_TOOLS from HDD as this is second hand laptop .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation