Question

Tutor
KM2011
Message 1 of 9 (13,867 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Tools Partition on my hard drive - Why is it a separate partition?

I was looking at the Partitions on my Hard drive, Pavilion DV6-3142ea, as  Iwanted to create a new partition for data storage. when I realsied that there was a 4th partition - HP Tools. Because the HP Tools Partiton exists when I went to create a new partition for data storage Windows 7 informed me that it would have to be a dynamic partition and the issues with that. The whole idea of having a separate partition for data storage is to allow me to recover the data if the C drive gets corrupted or the motherboard dies  and I need to retrieve teh data from the hard drive.

So can I move the files already in te HP Toolst partition to another location so that i can use it for data storage?

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 9 (13,840 Views)

Re: HP Tools Partition on my hard drive - Why is it a separate partition?

Hi,
Check the link below:
How to repartition HDD of HP notebook with pre-loaded Windows 7.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Tutor
KM2011
Message 3 of 9 (13,825 Views)

Daniel,

Thank you for replying, but your article doesn't even mention the HP Tools Partition.

Do the tools run from there or is that a second "Recovery" Partition.

i repeat my question, Why is the HP Tools Partition there? What can I do to use that as the basis of a partition for storing data files?

The alternative is to delete the contents of the Recovery Partition after creating Recovery Disks, as arguably the Recivery files should not be on the Hard drive in the first place as if the HD fails I would be unable to restore the OS to a replacement HD.

Big HDs are great, but not when the manufacturer hasn't thought about the implications and used up all 4 Partitions that can be cerated wihout resorting to a Dynamic drive! Not Impressed HP!

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 9 (13,823 Views)

[ Edited ]

Quote from guide:

HP_TOOLS - partition which allow to use diagnostic tools after pressing F2 on startup.

I do not recommend removing HP_TOOLS or RECOVERY partitions.

They will not give you much space and they are very often needed.

In this guide you will find two very good solutions on your problem.

Find some time and check whole guide.

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Honor Student
sjnkon
Message 5 of 9 (13,501 Views)

hey daniel I read your article How to repartition HDD of HP notebook with pre-loaded Windows 7. I am too wanting to partition my Hp Pavilion G6 harddrive. Can I change the Recovery or Hp_tools drive into logical instead of C: or deleting System?

Tutor
fpc123
Message 6 of 9 (13,390 Views)

Thank!

Just for the record the program is a little buggy and wil tell you it failed when it did not. Besides that minor annoyance it worked beautifully!

Thanks again!

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 7 of 9 (13,374 Views)

fpc123 wrote:

Just for the record the program is a little buggy and wil tell you it failed when it did not.

Could you write a few words more about this problem?

Tutor
fpc123
Message 8 of 9 (13,367 Views)

When I first tried changed the main partition to logical it said there was another program running so I restarted and the program gave me an errorthat something else was running even though I has disabled the antivirus. . I tried running the program after a clean boot and again got the error that something else was running, I had disabled the anti-virus. I can't remember the exact wording of the error message that said it failed. Then I noticed the button to make it a logical partiton was greyed out and the programed had worked despite the error message.

After that no worries!

Student
Abhinit12
Message 9 of 9 (6,275 Views)

Daniel,if hp tools converts to logical from primary...is there any problem..pls help me out.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation