HP Total Care Advisor Update (8760 Views)
Tutor
allmine
Message 1 of 24 (8,760 Views)

HP Total Care Advisor Update

A critical alert in HP Total Care Advisor (issued 8th April) will not install due to an error in the file (SP41119.exe).

3068 Function Syntax. Illegal delimiter found.

on Line 186 of W:\Patches\IP\SP41119\install.wbt

Will a revision be made avaiable to enable this update to install?

Tutor
Brunoworks
Message 2 of 24 (8,736 Views)

Re: HP Total Care Advisor Update

It is not an update (or revision) needed, there was an error on your computer installing the file. This could be from one of a million factors, (i.e. your antivirus, your user account control settings, your internet connection). restart your computer, ensure your internet connection and try the update again.
Tutor
allmine
Message 3 of 24 (8,746 Views)

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried a number of times to install this file with the same error each time.

I have dowloaded the file and separately saved it to my desktop, I have diabled my Norton firewall, antivirus and internet connection and tried again, same message. the only thing I have not tried is tinkering with the UAC settings.

Some additional info on the error: RunShell("regsvr32.exe", '/s "C:\Users\ALLAN'~1\AppData\Local\Temp\pft405E.tmp\cpc_DMIRD.dll"', "", @NORMAL, @WAIT), I also get the following message if I click on more error info: Function may need more parameters, or a period was used when a comma was expected.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated , and some further advice on UAC settings if you think that this is the problem.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 24 (8,711 Views)

SP41119 is actually an update to Total Care Advisor, which is totally buggy software.Ignore or even turn off Total Care Advisor as most users do.You are better off going to your models driver/updates page and manually installing anything you need.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
Brunoworks
Message 5 of 24 (8,607 Views)

DO NOT disable or mes with the Total Care Advisor. Its a tool hp uses to diagnose your computer issues and is crucial in you being able to get support from them. IF you are getting the same error on al your updates than it sounds like your Windows has been corrupted. Backup your files and do a recovery on the notebook. Its healthy for it anyway.
Master's Graduate
melanchete
Message 6 of 24 (8,598 Views)

Honestly folks, the TCA is good for people that don't know their way around a computer.  But most of us disable TCA as we find that it is coded for/by Symantec and gives false positive alerts if you use anything other than Symantec products.

brunoWORKS4hp wrote:
DO NOT disable or mes with the Total Care Advisor. Its a tool hp uses to diagnose your computer issues and is crucial in you being able to get support from them. IF you are getting the same error on al your updates than it sounds like your Windows has been corrupted. Backup your files and do a recovery on the notebook. Its healthy for it anyway.

Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
Tutor
Brunoworks
Message 7 of 24 (8,543 Views)

I'm sorry but TCA is NOT from or for Symantec, its proprietary HP software. And no it does NOT give false positives, you may not like the results it gives, but its NOT known for false positives. Take my word for it, leave it alone. Unless you want to void your warranty. :robotmad:
Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 24 (8,523 Views)

brunoWORKS4hp wrote:
I'm sorry but TCA is NOT from or for Symantec, its proprietary HP software. And no it does NOT give false positives, you may not like the results it gives, but its NOT known for false positives. Take my word for it, leave it alone. Unless you want to void your warranty.

TCA is buggy software, and most of us turn it off. TCA has even been known to dowload a wrong BIOS_which caused no-boot machines.I stand by my opinion that it is much safer and more reliable to download updates/drivers manually from your models page rather than rely on TCA.

You can leave it installed,just turn off the auto start. 'IF' HP ever needed it run (which is doubtful) it can be started  from the shortcut as most programs are.Removing or disabling TCA does not void the hardware warranty!

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Master's Graduate
melanchete
Message 9 of 24 (8,514 Views)

[ Edited ]
Where in the EULA and/or what part of the warranty agreement does it state that the removal or disabling of TCA will void your warranty?  Please supply us with your badge number.

brunoWORKS4hp wrote:
I'm sorry but TCA is NOT from or for Symantec, its proprietary HP software. And no it does NOT give false positives, you may not like the results it gives, but its NOT known for false positives. Take my word for it, leave it alone. Unless you want to void your warranty. :robotmad:

Message Edited by melanchete on 04-25-2009 01:09 PM
Message Edited by melanchete on 04-25-2009 01:09 PM
Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
Tutor
Brunoworks
Message 10 of 24 (8,445 Views)

PLEASE stop putting words into my mouth. I never said that disabling the software would void the warranty. I said that disabling software COULD void it. Never did I say that the TCA is required. I am not here to argue via posts. I am trying to help ppl who need it. And yes, going through and manipulating and changing the pre-installed software in the computer may not void your warranty per say, but if you bring it to an unrecoverable state by doing so, your trouble is NOT covered by the warranty. Any 'advanced user modifications' you do are NOT covered under the warranty. And no, I will NOT provide my badge number so you can harass me. Sorry if you view this as incorrect, but like the name says, I am a technician for HP and speak from direct experience. :robotindifferent:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation