Question
HP and Windows 7 from Microsoft
Replies (381)

Honor Student
walanr
Message 21 of 382 (13,117 Views)

Re: HP and Windows 7 from Microsoft

So you are telling me that if I bought an HP laptop from Best Buy on June 24th, 2009 I need to return it and re-buy it to get the free Windows 7 upgrade?
Tutor
Knightro2
Message 22 of 382 (12,994 Views)

Join the club. I orderded a Pavilion Elite on the 15th. I'm still within my 21 day return period. I'm trying to work with them to get the upgrade but no luck so far. I figured it would be a no brainer for people still within their return period....especially when purchased off of HP.com to save the trouble and hassle of HP and the customer. I hate dealing with overseas call centers!
Top Student
VicNormal
Message 23 of 382 (12,933 Views)

I just bought a HDX 18t directly from HP on June 24th. This question is for the Admin - DanW - I heard that HP is looking at the ship date, not the purchase date Is this true? If not, will HP work with me without my returning the computer and then rebuying it? How can I contact someone to make this happen? Thanks! It ships on July 2, let's make this happen before it ships!
Top Student
VicNormal
Message 24 of 382 (12,889 Views)

Sorry, make that question going to DaniW, Thanks again!
Honor Student
TrishaE
Message 25 of 382 (12,787 Views)

I install win7 on my tx2101us laptop and love it compared to Vista Home 64.  I did a clean install and almost everything runs fine.  I had a little problem with the screen, but the program repair corrected it.  You might try a clean install from a DVD.  It saved my old vista, so I can go back anytime I want to.

Student
SC57_Again
Message 26 of 382 (12,717 Views)

Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 64-bit successfully installed on HP Pavilion zv6000/zv61000 Notebook.  The only exception is for the failing Conexion AC-Link Audio driver.  (That driver has always been a sore spot for any operating system I have tried on this machine.)  Please fix the Conexion  audio for the Windows 7 release (if not for RC1).

The performance is acceptable for the basic Windows applications even with only 1 Gb RAM, and Windows 7 is running better than and much more pleasantly than any flavor of XP or Ubuntu I have tried on this notebook (purchased new in September 2006).  If you do fix the drivers, I plan on increasing the RAM and finally using this expensive notebook for something more useful than a door stop.

Thank you!

Tutor
pixelriffic
Message 27 of 382 (12,786 Views)

I can do one better by one day.  I bought mine on the 25th, and HP has declined to extend the upgrade to me.  I am rather upset about this to say the least.  The support staffer suggested I just pay for the retail upgrade.  FYI, the annouced price is $119 for Windows 7 home premium. 

It's a shame, as I really liked this notebook.  I'm inclined to take it back to the store allright, but rather than doing some absurd return and repurchase, I'll most likely exchange it for another brand.  

It's really a shame, as hp has made some great products over the years, and I have spent thousands on them.  I've overlooked some problems, but this is way too much.  

Intern
virus86
Message 28 of 382 (12,771 Views)

[ Edited ]

Did you buy the HP at a store or online on the 25th?

You should bring up this article: Windows 7 Upgrade

Its a shame that no Admin has replyed to the questions.

People say that its the ship date that matters if you get the free update. Is that true?

Message Edited by virus86 on 06-28-2009 05:29 PM
------------------------
GO GATORS
Tutor
pixelriffic
Message 29 of 382 (12,761 Views)

Well, I have received another reply from HP support.  My notebook purchased about 12 hours or so before June 26th has been declined for the free Windows 7 upgrade.  I'm so annoyed about this I should quit right now.  Good luck to the rest of you HP customers, as I will soon not be among you. 

Um...  just gonna return the notebook that is.  ;-)

Intern
virus86
Message 30 of 382 (12,733 Views)

I got a response from HP about the dates....its the SHIPPING DATE!! Yay!! Here is an exact quote:

"Hello,

This is in response to your email regarding the Windows 7 Upgrade Program. The program elligibility period begins on June 26, 2009 as per guidelines given by Microsoft. If your laptop ships on June 26th or later, then it would qualify for the upgrade program."

------------------------
GO GATORS
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation