Question

Honor Student
dsx460
Message 1 of 1 (362 Views)

HP dv4t not detecting hard drive, please help!

Hello, its been just a little over a year since I've bought my HP dv4t, and of course the problems start as soon as my warranty has ended.. It's been working fairly fine most of the year, and then just all of a sudden while not even doing anything of importance on computer last week I got a blue screen error..

Ever since then I have had so much problems. At first it just started out with closing the screen and reopening it crashed the laptop in a couple minutes..

The main problem now is, it just does not detect the hard drive when booting up! Sometimes (rarely) it does though.. I thought it was a windows problem, so I did fresh clean install of Windows 7 and reformatted the hard drive. Then I ran CHKDSK and it did it stuff and said volume clean at the end.. It worked perfectly for a couple of hours, was able to close screen and open with no problems. I downloaded "Hard drive sentinel" to monitor my hdd health, and it said 90% which is apparently excellent. Yet as I was installing adobe reader, it crashed, got the blue screen of death and has not been able to boot up since :smileysad:

Can anyone tell what is the problem with it? Anyone else have similar problem? I've tried to reformat again with CD but it doesnt even recognize any drive to install on..

Important thing to note is that, in the BIOS screen when i run the HARD DISK TEST, it does recognize it! So i dont understand why it doesn't load the operating system or cant see the hard drive anywhere else!!

What is at fault even? Is the motherboard dead? Althought the bios screen loads fine so does that mean its OK? Is it the hard drive? CHKDSK and the hdd health monitor thing said it was ok right before the crashes..

Please help, I have my first computer science lab in like 2 days with my laptop breaking just a couple days before it with barely any money left to buy a new laptop :smileysad:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation