HP dv6 + windows 7 = not waking from sleep mode (9092 Views)
Teacher
Shadowerr_DV6
Message 1 of 11 (9,092 Views)

HP dv6 + windows 7 = not waking from sleep mode

Hello to all,

I have weird and RANDOM problem. Sometimes it occurs and sometimes not. It's completely random.

So, when I put my notebook to sleep, sometimes it does not awake from sleep mode. I can see all the lamps flashing, hear fan spinning, but

screen is black... I can't do anything but to power of my machine manually .

Any help appreciated.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Student
ascaley
Message 2 of 11 (9,069 Views)

Re: HP dv6 + windows 7 = not waking from sleep mode

I've got a similar problem, DV6 2060ea Intel i7. I'm getting all the following symptoms, also pretty randomly.

Can't put machine into sleep mode, can't shut down.

Can't install programs that use Windows Installer

Can't sync USB devices.

It's so frustrating, I've updated the BIOS, the chipset drivers but the problem occurs seemingly randomly. Any ideas anyone?

Honor Student
BigIron
Message 3 of 11 (8,818 Views)

I have two HP laptops, and had some trouble with the Windows 7 system waking from Sleep Mode. Here is what I did to avoid issues with both of my laptops. I have listed detailed instructions for Windows 7 and for Windows Vista.
For Windows 7:

1) Start > Control Panel > System and Security

2) go to Power Options (fifth from the top)

3) Select the "Balanced" power plan.

4) Then, go to "Define Power buttons and turn on password protection."

(Note that "Require a password when the computer wakes" and "Change what the power buttons do"

both take you to the SAME option screen!)

5) For "When I press the sleep button", set both on battery and plugged in to "sleep."

For me, this setting allows me to press the Power Button in order to wake from sleep. And yes,
there have been 'wake up' issues on this laptop.

I have an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC laptop running Windows 7 - 64 bit.

= = = =
For Windows VISTA

1) Start > Settings > Control Panel

2) go to Power Options (with the green battery icon)

3) I use the "HP Recommended" (another HP Laptop!)

4) Then, go to "Define Power buttons and turn on password protection."

5) I have five of the six options all set to 'Sleep.'

So it looks like this:
                                                                    on Battery                 Plugged In

When I press the Power Button:            Sleep                          Sleep

When I press the sleep Button:             Sleep                          Sleep

When I close the lid:                                Sleep                          Do Nothing

Regarding the last entry in "When I close the lid", I have an external monitor, so I like to
close the laptop's lid and view the external monitor.

I DON'T USE the 'Hibernate' option at all on either of my laptops!

My Windows Vista system always comes out of 'sleep' when I gently press the power button.

= = = =

Hope this helps,

BigIron
Student
Y2K_Blackout
Message 4 of 11 (8,780 Views)

I have a similar problem on my HP DM3-1130US. 

After sleep, it seems to wakeup but the screen never turns on. I don't know how to solve the problem of it not waking up; however, there is an alternative to manually rebooting.

Simply hit the sleep button on your keyboard. Wait for the computer to sleep again. Wake your computer from sleep by pressing a key or touching the touchpad.

Lmk if this works for you.

Student
animehair
Message 5 of 11 (8,724 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a DV6 with this type of problem also.

Windows 7 actually works well with hibernation mode, but these kind of problems typically indicate a bios bug...or needed bios fix.

One suggestion that hasnt already been mentioned that could work would be to delete the hiberfil.sys file.  This is the location Windows writes the memory to for hibernation purposes.  Sometimes this file can get corrupt, or basically screw up your hibernation process.  This could especially occur if you hibernate your computer very frequently over a long period of time.

To delete the hiberfil.sys do the following:

• Go to Start menu, type “cmd”, then right click the cmd program that pops up to Run As Administrator
  • Type “powercfg.exe -h off” and press enter
  • Reboot the computer

Once the computer reboots, re-enable the hibernation mode to recreate a fresh hiberfil.sys file:

• Go to Start menu, type “cmd”, then right click the cmd program that pops up to Run As Administrator
  • Type “powercfg.exe -h on” and press enter
  • Reboot the computer

Personally I expect a bios update from HP that should improve hibernation functionality.  Who knows when though.

Honor Student
bobski9933
Message 6 of 11 (6,631 Views)

I have the same problem on my Pavilion Dv6.  Also occasionally I can't power up and have to remove the battery and power up with AC, works fine then.  I reinstall the battery (power off) and restarts up ok.  Wierd.  Happens every few weeks.

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 7 of 11 (6,622 Views)

ascaley wrote:

I've got a similar problem, DV6 2060ea Intel i7. I'm getting all the following symptoms, also pretty randomly.

Can't sync USB devices.

It's so frustrating, I've updated the BIOS, the chipset drivers but the problem occurs seemingly randomly. Any ideas anyone?

I've got the same Dv6-2060ea but works well so far on Windows and also linux. I don't use Windows too often but on linux is no problem with the sleep mode and I leave it in over the night each weekend. Windows work fine but I have replaced the hard drive by an ssd and also reinstalled the system. USB devices are mounted fast with no problems..

If you still have the original system, I would perform a factory reset (using recovery disks). I also have a modified BIOS (the latest) which disables the whitelist for wireless cards and you may use any wireless card in it..:smileyhappy:

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
kbzonmartinez
Message 8 of 11 (6,614 Views)

hey i had a similar problem with my hdx t +win 7 only that when i wake my computer it didn't charge desktop and i had only a black screen but my desktop was charged and it was a windows 7 corrupted file

Try reinstalling win7

bye

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 9 of 11 (6,566 Views)

pepe999 wrote:

ascaley wrote:

Can't sync USB devices.

I've got the same Dv6-2060ea but works well so far on Windows and also linux. I don't use Windows too often but on linux is no problem with the sleep mode and I leave it in over the night each weekend. Windows work fine but I have replaced the hard drive by an ssd and also reinstalled the system. USB devices are mounted fast with no problems..

If you still have the original system, I would perform a factory reset (using recovery disks). I also have a modified BIOS (the latest) which disables the whitelist for wireless cards and you may use any wireless card in it..:smileyhappy:

I have to edit my statement about Windows and sleep mode. I was using Windows last weekend and left the laptop idle for a while. It went to sleep mode but when I wanted to restore the sleep state, the desktop came up, froze after several seconds and I got a BSOD, the first on the laptop ever. I believe it's a Windows issue because sleep mode on linux works well on 2 different systems. I'm not going to investigate why it happens, just let others know that another Dv6 laptop has the same issue..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Tutor
rjose_selena
Message 10 of 11 (6,551 Views)

[ Edited ]

bobski9933 wrote:

I have the same problem on my Pavilion Dv6.  Also occasionally I can't power up and have to remove the battery and power up with AC, works fine then.  I reinstall the battery (power off) and restarts up ok.  Wierd.  Happens every few weeks.

try resttings the BIOS by taking the CMOS battery out then press the power for 45 seconds. ( by the clock; not by the quick  count of the mouth) and it should be fine...

1.jpg

mimiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.gif

:smileywink:

______________From Cisco Philippines with Love__________________

** I am not employed by HP but I'll be glad to know that might I have helped **

mimiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.gif

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation