HP mini 110: Windows XP won't load; returns to black screen [safe mode/last good/normal] options (10141 Views)
Honor Student
OttawaUser
Message 1 of 7 (10,141 Views)

HP mini 110: Windows XP won't load; returns to black screen [safe mode/last good/normal] options

[ Edited ]
This is a HP mini 110-1033CA from Costco - 9 days past one year warranty!
The Windows splash screen appears momentarily gettng up to 3 on the progress bar, then quickly goes thru a Black Screen (F9/F10) then another black screen with options to start in Safe mode or normal,etc... Tried all options, they all end back on the black screen

Tried F9 and F10...
F9 - change boot order - only one choice (SATA: PM-SAMSUNG HM160HI)
F10 - BIOS setup -
 [Main]: Diagnostic log shows all passed/restart the system (10000)

[System Configuration]: Boot Options
       Internal Network Adapter Boot=Disabled
        Boot Device Priority=SATA: PM-SAMSUNG HM  (no other choices)

[Diagnostics]:
   ran primary hard disk self test ->got no errors
   ran memory test ->got no errors

AT one point, I got a Blue screen with message to run chkdsk /f
  0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x865AC2F0,0xc0000102,0x00000000)
I can't get this screen to show up at all anymore.

As I can't get in, I can't run chkdsk. Any suggestions?

In the pkg to fix a previous separate issue (faulty MSWorks install), HP also sent along a Win XP "Operating System CD" and an "Application and Driver Recovery DVD". I've no clue how to use them however as there's no drive in the mini?!? For the previous issue, the MS Works recovery was also on CD, but they sent along with a USB stick and step-by-step printed instructions for loading what was needed on the stick with the use of another computer.

Can you point me to similar instructions to use the stick from HP to restore Win XP if that's what we need to do? Anything we can try ourselves?

Honor Student
OttawaUser
Message 2 of 7 (10,126 Views)

Re: HP mini 110: Windows XP won't load; returns to black screen [safe mode/last good/normal] options

tried F11 during power up - does nothing

tried F6 during power up - there is some progress loading  - we get a silver screen with a movable cursor - but it finally errors out with "Exception: Cannot invoke Roxio Instant Restore because it is not installed on this PC". Clicking OK it eventualy gets back to the black screen.

Hmmm let's call it the [black screen of loopiness - BSOL - or 'Boy, you're S*** out of Luck]

(laugh >better than> cry)

Intern
alrtech
Message 3 of 7 (10,114 Views)

Re: HP mini 110: Windows XP won't load; returns to black screen [safe mode/last good/normal] options

Sounds like that since the diagnostics go ok, it's probably a corrupt OS at this point. Since you can't get to Roxio to do a restore, the options at this point are pretty nil, it's looking like you'll need to get you hands on an external optical drive to run those recovery disks.

While I am an HP employee, I am not a expert on all our products. If I offer advice, I'm not speaking for HP on how to solve an issue, but I'll do my personal best to help you.
Intern
alrtech
Message 4 of 7 (10,113 Views)

BTW - If this was an off the shelf purchase from Costco, you have a 2 year warranty.

ALL Notebooks, Desktops, Monitors, PC bundles purchased after February 26th, 2007 from a physical Costco store location has an automatic 2 year warranty covered by HP. 

Exceptions: Costco.com online orders. Notebook batteries. Monitors purchased in Canada - All are generally one year warranty only.

While I am an HP employee, I am not a expert on all our products. If I offer advice, I'm not speaking for HP on how to solve an issue, but I'll do my personal best to help you.
Student
joshua211
Message 5 of 7 (9,782 Views)

i have the same problem just not the black screen part mine goes to the windows xp screen where it loads up it well stop the first second it starts and reboots itself i can use help here no suggestions with cd's

Student
jagjag
Message 6 of 7 (6,668 Views)

I put my buddy hp mini110 lap top in the freezer. Before doing this it would boot only to f10 most of the time. Some time it would boot. After putting it in the freeze it would boot. I tried check disk it would stop before finishing. I got it to boot and it started check disk again. I put it in the freezer and it completed check disk and would boot. The power cord was plugged in during the time it was in the freezer. I left in the freezer overnight.

I called my friend at WR Systems. He told me to take it apart and clean all the connectorsTo the hard drive , keyboard , and ect. I have not done that yet, because the unit has been booting without a problem. 

Student
jmm991
Message 7 of 7 (3,644 Views)

My mini is doing the same thing(keeps rebooting). My mini 110 does not have a disc drive.  Can I use a usb jump drive somehow?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation