tcdevotie
Message 1 of 8 (5,731 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP mini 210-1000; Windows xp will not install

Specs:

HP mini : 210-1000

Product # : WP055UA#ABA

Hi,

As stated above I have an HP mini that I've had for roughly a year or more.  It came with windows xp installed on it.  After a while I wanted to try out using Ubuntu on it and accidentally deleted the windows partition and so replace everything with ubuntu.  Now I would like to reinstall Windows.  I have a windows xp pro disk to do so with.  Now,  I tried booting from the cd while ubuntu was installed - didn't work.  Wiped my entire HDD clean and then tried booting from the cd - didn't work. 

I'm at a loss at what to do. 

Here is the message displayed,

"A problem has been dtected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer.  Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.  Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7AC963C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

It gave me this message before I deleted Ubuntu as well.  I also did a HDD check through the BIOS and everything is ok.

I do not know what else can be done.  Thank you for your time.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 8 (5,703 Views)

Re: HP mini 210-1000; Windows xp will not install

[ Edited ]

Hi:

All you need to do is to load the SATA ACHI drivers.

You can add them at that F6 prompt at the beginning of the Windows XP installation routine or you can slipstream them into a copy of your XP installation disk.

Please read this helpful guide at the link below and you'll be back in business real soon.

Your notebook has the Intel NM10 express chipset, so read the instructions for that.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-0x000000...

Here are the drivers you need. Download and extract the second file (32 bit).

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19599&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP...=

Paul

Honor Student
tcdevotie
Message 3 of 8 (5,696 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the help.  I went through a bit of the links you told me about.  As of now I'm just going through with the f6 button you mentioned.  If that doesn't help I'll go through with what you've outlined. 

I'll mark this as accepted solution once I've gotten this all installed.  ...and the f6 didn't seem to work, so I'll begin trying to slipstream and all that.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 8 (5,693 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're welcome.

It is best to use a USB Floppy disk drive.

Extract those drivers to a FDD, and you have to use the arrow keys to scroll up or down to select the appropriate driver. It is normally hidden from immediate view on the screen.

Try one of the ICH7 drivers:

Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller

ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller

Paul

Honor Student
tcdevotie
Message 5 of 8 (5,686 Views)

[ Edited ]

As of now I have just finished using nLite,  I'm looking for a way to possibly use my USB to boot instead since I copied the installation disk over and now I have two of them.

Would it be just as good to burn it to the installation disk?  I'm not sure if I can even do that but thought that I would check.  If I can't do a USB or burn it to the installation disk then I will have to wait until I get home where I have a blank disk waiting, but I'm afraid of losing my progress.  Will hibernation keep me where I need to be?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 8 (5,673 Views)

Hi:

There is an instruction guide to install XP from a USB jump drive. You can give that a try.

Hibernate should save all your current progress to the hard drive. Just make sure your battery is charged decently.

When you turn the notebook back on it should resume and bring you to where you were.

Paul

Honor Student
tcdevotie
Message 7 of 8 (5,672 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hmm, well that will be an issue because the current laptop that I am using...the battery will not remain charged.

I'll check out the USB boot, but just to go ahead an ask, will I need to start the nLite all over again if progress is lost?  Meaning, instead of burning the files or what-not I just close out.

Another question,  will making the file fron nLite into an image help the USB idea?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 8 (5,669 Views)

Hi:

I never used the program so I don't know what happens when you don't follow the program through to completion and need to set a spell and restart it. 

...Especially if your battery dies. I think it will be OK because the session is stored on your hard drive. It should be there when you hook the notebook up to A/C power and boot it back up.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation