Question

Top Student
pkmn760
Message 1 of 35 (68,116 Views)

HP mini 210 quickweb install

I am reformatting my computer with windows 7 and I want to be able to continue to use quickweb and the other features that came with the computer.

How can I Custom install upgrade and keep the Quickweb?

Student
ntangan
Message 2 of 35 (68,003 Views)

Re: HP mini 210 quickweb install

I have the same problem. I was unable to find a working wersion of HP Quickweb for HP MIni 210 with Windows 7... does it exists?

Thanks!

Student
vgt343
Message 3 of 35 (67,881 Views)

For some reason, I uninstalled Quickweb by accident. Anybody know how I can install it again? Thanks in advance! :smileyhappy:

Student
cybombay
Message 4 of 35 (67,372 Views)

Re: HP mini 210 quickweb install - the link to HP QuickWeb installer

Found this link where you can download the HP QuickWeb installer

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=ob-788...

Have not tried this yet, because I just bought my HP Mini, but I'm planning to use this software after installing the OS applicable to my country of locale.

Honor Student
anyloginid
Message 5 of 35 (66,767 Views)

I broke QuickWeb trying to dual-boot Ubuntu. Is there any way to fix QuickWeb with Ubuntu or does it require a Windows Installation?

Honor Student
jkrudde
Message 6 of 35 (66,463 Views)

I have opened a case w/HP and they are supposedly escalating the issue that we are having with re-installing quickweb following a clean slate install of a different version of 7.  I have tried everything in every forum and nothing works.  As an HP employee myself, I hope we can come up w/a solution.

Honor Student
danieltseng
Message 7 of 35 (66,197 Views)

Hi,

If you are doing a clean OS installation, backup QuickWeb installation file.

The installation file can be found under C:\SWsetup\QuickWeb
Just backup the entire folder to an external drive, after reinstalling OS,
run SETUP and QuickWeb installs onto C: just like any other software,

If you have already formatted your drive, see this thread for solution.

http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=4092

Daniel

Student
toesterdahl
Message 8 of 35 (65,273 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is how I installed Ubuntu on HP Mini dm1-1120ez while preserving the options of booting also HP QuickWeb and Windows 7.

Dual-boot or a simple Ubuntu boot?

I was agonizing for a while over accepting the Microsoft Windows end user license agreement. I was tempted to deny it and call up HP Support and ask them to rather refund the Windows 7 licence money; however their user guide stated they did not accept this and apart from that I had better things to do at work than hanging on their support line. If I was going to buy the license I thought I could just as well try to preserve the Windows installation so I descided to go for a dual boot.

Other sources

I used this description as a reference: Dual Booting an HP Mini 210 HD with Windows and Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit

HP Quickweb (Splashtop)

The HP not only comes with Windows 7 but also with a little Linux distro referred to as HP QuickWeb (I think this linux distro is also known as Spashtop). HP Quickweb is not an alternative to installing Ubuntu - its a purpose build distro for running essential functions such as Web and Email with a very quick boot. I descided I wanted to keep also HP Quickweb which meant that I was going for a sort of triple-boot with Ubuntu 9.10 + Windows 7 + HP QuickWeb. Fast web is not managed by the normal boot-loader such as Grub or the Windows boot loader, it is rather loaded directly by the bios. In fact I could not quite find out how it is loaded and from where so my findings is based on practical experience - see more under partitioning below.

Setting up Windows 7

I booted into Windows 7 set up my default user. I obviously signed the EULA and I removed applications I thought I would not need. As a last step I created the HP recovery discs which should make it possible to bring back the system to a factory state. Three DVD's was necessary for the recovery discs.

Running the installer

I downloaded Ubunto 10.4 and burned the .iso onto a CD. The SU2300 supports the 64-bit instruction set so I took the 64 bit version. My dm1 unit cam with a USB DVD Burner; if you don't have a USB DVD device you will have to create a Ubuntu USB start disk instead. (I have never done this, but there is an option to do this once you run the Ubuntu live CD - again for this you need a CDROM of course..) In either case you will have to modify the boot order settings in the BIOS. This was a bit more cumbersome than it used to be. To start with the boot menu does not offer the option to go into the BIOS settings - the secret key is F10. Then the option to set the boot order is hidden 3 levels down the menu hierarcy - use the Enter key to navigate down the different panels of settings. Once I was in the BIOS I also enabled the HP QuickWeb, it appears that you can also do this from within Windows. As you boot from the Ubuntu Live CD you get the options of booting Ubuntu or installing Ubuntu. I opted to boot into Ubuntu and then I ran the installer from withing there; things should work exactly the same way if you choose to run the installer directly.

Partitioning

After sucessfully booting the Ubuntu installer the key thing to get right is the partitioning of the disk, creating space for Ubuntu while not deleting something necessary to run HP QuickWeb or Windows 7. It turned out to be rather simple. This is the partitions originally found on the disk.

209M use: Windows boot loader
300G use: Windows 7
15G use: HP Recovery
108M use: HP Tools

The problem now is twofold. 1. I need to shrink the Windows partition to provide space for Ubuntu. 2. I am not allowed to create a fifth partition so at least one need to go. My solution was to delete the 15G recover partition since I had created recovery disks. (Note: if you do not have recovery disks you will not be able to bring the system back to FACTORY STATE.) I also shrunk the windows partition to 32 Gigabytes. In the space that I had recovered I created first a 3 Gigabyte logicat partition to use for Linux swap space and of the reminder I created a root partition for Linux formatted as ext4. My partitions looks like this then.

209M use: SYSTEM / Windows boot loader filesystem: NTFS mountpoint: /hp_boot
32G use: Windows 7 filesystem: NTFS mountpoint: /windows
3G use: Linux Swapdisk
288G use: Linux root filesystem filesystem: ext4 mountpoint: /
108M use: HP Tools filesystem: FAT32 mountpoint: /hp_tools

My understanding is that the first 209M partition is needed for Windows 7 to boot. Needless to say Windows 7 is also dependant on the Windows 7 partition. My understanding is that the HP QuickWeb is booted from the BIOS and is not referred to from neiter the Windows bootloader nor from Grub; however it needs files that is located in the Windows 7 partition so this partition needs to stay in place for HP QuickWeb to work. I would guess that I could had disposed of the last 108M partition but I could not be bothered trying for the relatively small space it needed.

It is not necesary to create mountpoints for the Windows partitions, /hp_boot, /windows and, /hp_tools - I just thought it was nice to be able to look in to what is in there and it basically comes for free.

There is no special option in the installer for creating a dual-boot configuration - It will recognize at runtime that there is a Windows boot partition and add this to the Grub boot menu.

32G is a minimal partition for running Windows 7. This is good for me since I only have academic interest in Windows. If you do think that you are actually going to use Windows you might want to create two equal size partitions for Windows and Linux or you might create a partitions for installing Windows and Linux and then a third partition formatted with FAT32 to hold your documents.

Booting the new system

After finishing the install I booted the system. With this configuration it will allways boot HP QuickWeb first, which I clocked to 6 seconds. If there is no user interaction for 10 seconds it will go on to run the MBR Boot loader which is Grub. This one gives you the option of booting Ubuntu (default), Windows 7 or Vista!! The first two alternatives work while booting Vista is futile.

Further customizations

I went into the settings of HP QuickWeb to shorten the delay into booting the main operating system to 5 seconds.
I also made the same thing in Grub as demonstrated in Dual Booting an HP Mini 210 HD with Windows and Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
I found out that the vertical scroll function of the touchpad did not work which was resolved as demonstrated on Dual Booting an HP Mini 210 HD with Windows and Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
I found out that processor scaling did not work. Unable to activate speedstep on SU2300
Except that things work including suspend and wireless ethernet. There is no need to install additional WLAN drivers as indicated in some older posts covering older versions of Ubuntu.

Student
jagath_buddhika
Message 9 of 35 (64,991 Views)

Hi All,

I have something similar problem like above.

I bought a HP Pavilian dv4-2100 laptop with Windows 7 and HP-quick web feature. I try to install Ubuntu 10.04 for separate partition in it. What I did was, shrink the windows system partition and make some space as un-partition. My problem is when I try to install Ubuntu it did not show my system partition table correctly. That means, it did not show that un-partition free space to install Ubuntu.

Please anyone knows how to fix this issue, please help me to overcome this problem.

My system configuration is as follows;

System Model :                HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC

OS Name : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version :  6.1.7600 Build 7600

Processor :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330  @ 2.13GHz

Regards,

Jagath

Student
brubla
Message 10 of 35 (64,603 Views)

Hi,

little bit off topic because I have HP 6540b laptop with Windows 7 x64.

I spent couple of hours trying to start QuickWeb. I installed every possible version but no success.

After boot no screen with QuickWeb possibility. No option in BIOS for selecting how long QW boot option have to be displayed.

At the end I have found this document:

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01951773.pdf

Which is a good source of information.

And the result? Very simple:

* First you have to enable QuickWeb in BIOS.

* And second? After switching notebook on, you have to touch the sensor with globe symbol (it starts internet explorer in windows). To be sure, touch it couple of times. And tada, QW starts!

By the way, it not works when starting from sleep mode.

HP, if you hear me, please write it with big big font in documentation. Every source I have found writes about special power on button or about selection screen in boot time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation