Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The cursor jumps to other pla ces on the screen as I type anything using IE or Mozilla. Is this a virus? or is it a software issue or is it a hardware issue?

thanks

sgoplan

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Check your adapter , might either faulty or not the right voltage capacity for your system.

GOODLUCK

HP Recommended

Can i get the extact model number of the unit and the what is the OS the system running on?

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I've had this same problem on my brand new laptop with Window XP operating system. The cursor would jump from one line to another making typing anything impossible. I found the answer, and perhaps it will work for you also.

Whether you have a mouse connected or not, go to Control Panel->Mouse->Tapping->Typing and check the option "Tap off when typing". Hey presto, mine was fixed !!  Your setup or options might be slightly different, but the problem is there in the mouse settings. A friend of mine has Windows 7, same problem also. He fixed it also by adjusting the mouse settings.

I hope it works for you too !!!

Eclipz

HP Recommended

I have same problem. I try reinstall hardisk but never fix the problem. Lastly i make some modification on my lap top then the problem recovered. i got the idea from youtube, folowing address http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ6EgmljnGQ

Thanks

HP Recommended

The cursor jumps to other places on the screen as I type anything using IE or Mozilla. Is this a software issue or is it a hardware issue?

I know others have said that I need to change the tap function under control panel. However I have Windows 7 and do not see this setting.

HP Recommended

how to stop cursor from jumping and stop laptop suddenly switching programs or pages

HP Recommended

I found that all you have to do is change the mouse settings..Mine required on Windows 7 that I shut down the device pad (you are actually hitting the mouse pad when you are typing). This mouse pad has to be locked, and there is also a button in the top left corner of the pad you can tap and it will cause the light to turn from white to orange and you know it is off.

It is a simply fix for an awful problem. You will enjoy your computer so much more when you fix this. Once you go into control panel, you go to the mouse settings, device settings, and disable the pad. You can re-enable it the same way.

I have found using the button on the pad works easiest and use the other only as a backup!

Good luck and good typing!

HP Recommended

Great Idea... but mine doesn't have options Tapping or Typing under Mouse. I can turn tapping off altogether, which appears to solve the problem, but then I can't tap... Is the Tapping-while-typing option in  a newer driver? My laptop is about a year and a half old  - Win7, dv8t quad, from about 9/2012.

I'm careful not to touch the pad when typing, but I suspect that resting my hands on the panels to either side can cause the PC to flex and introduce the equivalent of taps. The Tapping-while-typing option is probably a fix for that... any comments?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.