Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP pavillion beats
Windows 8.1

So this Christmas i was very excited to get this laptop, and it cost me $600. Overall, this is an outstanding laptop, aside that the graphics card could be better and the sound quality from the speakers isn't as good as I expected it to be. Anyway, back to my question. I have been using the laptop all day long, and so far, everything is working normally. However, at times, randomly; without any notice, the screen goes black and it basically freezes. This happend once while I was typing, and once when I was watching a video. I have been active both times that it turns off, and the battery is never near death when it does this. While the screen is frozen, I cannot do anything with it; only turn it off. And to give you closure, I did try turning the  backlit keyboard on and off; no changes whatsoever, and I also tried pressing the Caps Lock button to find a resonse; and, as presumed, no lights turning on, nothing. Like I said, when these pauses happen, I am highly active and the battery is charged. If it helps, I haven't experienced them WHILE the laptop was charging. It's a shame that such a great laptop has a simple flaw that could probably be easily fixed.

Thanks for listening,

Jalen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are a godsend. Very useful info. Thank you so very much. 

Which brings me to my last question; in the document, it mentioned manually restarting the computer with the power button when the lock ups occur due to overheating, unable to produce image on screen, etc. I was wondering if manually restarting the PC this way would at all cause damage or cause the PC to be slower in the future. 

Thank you so much again for your help!

Jalen

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @Jalen_Rahter,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your notebook computer randomly powers off to a black screen. Does this happen when the AC adapter is plugged in? Does this issue occur in Safe Mode? I would be happy to help you, but first I would encourage you to post your product number for your computer. Below is a is an HP Support document that will demonstrate how to find your computer's product number. In addition, it will also help if you indicate which operating system you are using; and whether your operating system is 32 or 64 bit. The more information you can provide, the better!

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please re-post with the necessary information, this way I will be able to research this further for you. I look forward to your reply!

Cheers!

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, mech pilot! It only happens when the ac adapter is not plugged in, as far as  i know, and I never have my laptop on safe mode, it's either on and being used or shut down. also, my operating system is Windows 8.1, 64 bit, and my product no. is G6R14UA#ABA. 

let me know if there is any more info should include.

thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi again Jalen_Rahter,

Thank you for the quick reply!

To further diagnose this issue, I recommend following the steps in this document on Computer Locks Up or Freezes (Windows 😎. This should help prevent your system from locking up to a black screen in the future.

If your computer continues to power off after backing up and recovering your operating system, I recommend contacting our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

You are a godsend. Very useful info. Thank you so very much. 

Which brings me to my last question; in the document, it mentioned manually restarting the computer with the power button when the lock ups occur due to overheating, unable to produce image on screen, etc. I was wondering if manually restarting the PC this way would at all cause damage or cause the PC to be slower in the future. 

Thank you so much again for your help!

Jalen

HP Recommended

Hi again Jalen_Rahter,

It is good to hear that the issue has been resolved!

To answer you question, it is true that performing several hard reset can cause damage over time to the hardware of the computer; which can also cause it to become slower. That is why it's a good idea not to perform such a reset all the time!

If this answer has solved your problem, can you please mark my initial post as an accepted solution? This will help others with the same issue to find the answer they are looking for.

Have a great rest of your day! 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
I have this exact problem and it occurred on a few months after purchase. My purchase was in Oct 2014 and it is very nerve wrecking to experience this. It happens while adapter is in and randomly. Keyboard stays lit but nothing on screen. It evens happens if Im not using and am about to use computer. Called tech service support few months ago they logged into my laptop and said it was out of warranty and I needed to pay to get it fixed but never said what the problem was. I declined paying because it's a new computer!!!! Very upset with tech support and hp as I continue having this problem.
HP Recommended
Hi flournoyd,I purchased this exact same laptop at end of September 2014 and like you self I started to occur a few months in no very regular but then started to become more frequent so before the years Warrenby was up I took it to currys/pc world where purchased. It has been sent off for repair 5x now with no luck in being fixed. I had phone call from man I'm warehouse where it's was being assessed assessed he has now told me the laptop does not support windows 8,8.1,10 baring in mind this was purchased with windows 8.1 installed so trust me when I say I am looking forward to going to currys with this new information have from their colleagues in the repair shop. Also I am not sure if you are from the UK or the US but if it's the UK you are protected by the sales of goods act 1979 even after the years Warrenby is up. You can get items repaired or replaced if unable to repair free of charge 🙂 Google it and you'll find out all about it. This has been a godsend to me otherwise I'd be hundreds of pounds out of pocket. Hope this helps if your still stuck. Good luck!
HP Recommended

I'm on here looking for a solution to the exact same problem. I tried everything that I've found on here and the computer still shuts down at random points. When it come back on I get the computer overheated screen. I too spoke with HP support and it was horrible. I could barely understand the rep and when we got to the point where problem identification was upon us he stated that my warranty was expired and I'd have to pay to get it fixed. All I want to know is what the problem is so that I can fix it myself. The worse customer service I've ever experienced. After a lot of research I see that this overheated problem is common with this version of the HP laptop. I'm surprised they didn't do a recall and replace the loyal customers laptop with one that actually works. My laptop started this madness in the middle of my college class. I'm an online student that purchased the laptop for school and look at where that got me. Thanks for the support HP you guys were great.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I still have the same problem. Nothing new to report on a fix.  Still very frustrated. 😞 I am in the US so the law you referred to unfortunately doesnt apply to me. Its quite bothersome especially when youre in the middle of something important!  still looking for a fix if anyone has one though.  Have a great day everyone!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.