Re: HP recovery partition on USB hard drive (300 Views)
Honor Student
solvayhutte
Message 1 of 5 (586 Views)

HP recovery partition on USB hard drive

Hi,

I have a HP dv6-1277el with Windows 7 installed and I need to create a recovery partition since I have to change the HDD.

I tried to create the recovery disks but the process suddendly stops with an error while writing the first DVD.
 So I'd like to create the partition on a USB device but in the recovery manager utility there's only the option for a DVD.

Should I download the HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility from the website? Can I use an external USB hard drive to create the recovery?

Thanks

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (585 Views)

Re: HP recovery partition on USB hard drive

Use the USB recovery flash disk utility   with a 8GB  usb thumbdrive to create the recovery media for your notebook.

For a reliable result use a well known brand such as Sandisk.

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
solvayhutte
Message 3 of 5 (567 Views)

Isn't it possible to use an external USB hard drive instead of a thumbdrive

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (557 Views)

It is, although sometimes making an external hard disk bootable is not as simple as with a thumbdrive. A flash drive is considerably faster storage media than an external hard disk. That is one of a top reasons a thumbdrive is preferred. Restoring or installing an OS from a USB drive is incredibly fast.

Best regards,

erico 

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
jclrita
Message 5 of 5 (300 Views)

I know a software named Easeus partition master, it is a free software, and it can help you to recover the partitions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation