Question

Honor Student
frederizia
Message 1 of 20 (4,409 Views)

HPThermalAssistant.exe gone, CoolSense not working

Hi

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with Windows 7 64-bit installed.

I always used CoolSense because my laptop is very loud and chosing the Quiet Mode made it fairly normal. However, recently it stopped working.

The error I get when I try to run CoolSense is that HPThermalAssistant.exe doesn't exist. My theory about why that is is the following.

I also have Ubuntu installed and had some issues with file names from ubuntu on Windows. To fix that, I let Windows run some kind of repair program when restarting. I remember that not only the 4 files concerned were removed but also one other one. My CoolSense problems started around the same time, so I'm guessing the HPThermalAssistant file is the one that got deleted.

I have already tried most of the solutions on here. I tried to reinstall CoolSense  but got an error that there is a problem with the installer package and it couldn't finish installing.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the support manager, followed by CoolSense.

That didn't work so I uninstalled the Software Framework, reset the system default settings in the BIOS menu, reinstalled the Software Framework and then tried to reinstall CoolSense but I got the same error.

Any idea what I could do to get CoolSense back? The loud fan noise is driving me crazy, especially when I'm trying to work.

Top Student
russ781227
Message 2 of 20 (4,406 Views)

Re: HPThermalAssistant.exe gone, CoolSense not working

Same Problem... on my Dv7-6113cl
I think this problem was like a month ago, I tried reinstalling it, but the setup window doesnt show.. It starts up when configuring coolsense and stuff, but then it just disappears... I hope they can fix this...
Top Student
russ781227
Message 3 of 20 (4,400 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same prob here, this is what it looks like.... I tried to install it manually because downloading the sp52814 thing wont startup the installer...

CS.jpg

Honor Student
frederizia
Message 4 of 20 (4,369 Views)

[ Edited ]

I get this when I try and click on my old CoolSense

coolsense.png

I can't find it in Programs and Features so can't specifically uninstall it.

Honor Student
frederizia
Message 5 of 20 (4,311 Views)

For those who still have the same problem, I uninstalled my Software Assistant and downloaded an old version of it (6.1.12.1). CoolSense is back now and I'm very happy.

This is the version of the SA I downloaded.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-99047-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Top Student
ZeeBiscuit
Message 6 of 20 (4,016 Views)

This worked!! Thank you!

Top Student
Mirash
Message 7 of 20 (2,801 Views)

I have same problem 
Is this version works with G61-454 model

Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 8 of 20 (2,666 Views)

Hello Mirash. Before I can thoroughly assist you, I need to ask a few questions:

What is the OS that you are currently using?

When did this stop working, or has it never worked in the first place?

Have you done any troubleshooting on your own?

Without digging deeper,what I would do is try to reinstall CoolSense using HP Recovery Manager. I have included a document that can help you. The document pertains to Windows 7, but if the OS is different, the steps aren't too different.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01868333

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I'm only here to help.

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
ZeeBiscuit
Message 9 of 20 (2,662 Views)

Actually, it stopped working again. I don't really know what's going on.

I have a HP Pavillion DV6 1149wm.

Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 10 of 20 (2,656 Views)

ZeeBiscuit, have you referenced the document I posted in my previous post in an attempt to troubleshoot the issue?

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation