Question

Tutor
MDavis0530
Message 1 of 30 (51,623 Views)

Hard Drive Not Exist

[ Edited ]

For weeks now I been having problems with my laptop. When I did that hard drive test it says "Hard Drive Not Exist" I'm trying to restore my laptop back to it's orginial setting.

Two weeks ago I contact HP as I was having problems. At first it said BOOTMGR is Missing" so they send me the recovery disc. This Monday or Tuesday I just recieved the disc so I popped it in. It was working fine so I left it running the next day. Next day came it said 12% has been completed so I left it alone. Hours later (8+ hours) it still says 12% completed. I contact HP told me that it was normal that I should leave it alone because it would currpt the hard drive. Next day after that it was still showing 12%. Long story short I restarted the process everything was working fine. Hours later same thing happen but this time it stopped at 29%, again I left it alone till the next day and still shows 29%. Contact HP and this time they said the disc is probably corrupted and that they'll send me a new one. I send my information to them (mailing address) then I got another email saying before they can send me a replacement disc that I should do the hard drive test. And when I did that I get "Hard Drive Not Exist"

I also tried to recovery my laptop without the disc and this is what I get:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk

Hard Disk (3F0)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

Does that mean I need to replace the hard drive? I only used this laptop for two weeks starting from when I first bought it which was Aug. 01, 2009 and already having problems. I never had problems with my Dell laptop and I bought this brand new from eBay. I bought the HP brand new from a retail store. 

Message Edited by MDavis0530 on 09-03-2009 11:11 PM
Message Edited by MDavis0530 on 09-03-2009 11:15 PM
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 30 (51,725 Views)

Re: Hard Drive Not Exist

Hi,

What is your HP product name and product number?

The error you listed refers to a faulty hard drive.

You can verify that your motherboard is still operable by using a Linux Live distribution, Download the live distro of your choice and burn the OS to a CD. It will load and not disturb the contents of your hard disk. like Ubuntu. If your notebook boots up into Linux then your motherboard is ok. 

regards,

erico 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
MDavis0530
Message 3 of 30 (51,696 Views)

It's a DV6-1234NR, Product number is NV085UA
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 30 (51,693 Views)

Hi,

That is more like it. I wish I had the time right now. I have to go to work on a network cabling project til' midnight. If someone hasn't already answered I will get back to this tomorrow.

regards,

erico 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
MDavis0530
Message 5 of 30 (51,684 Views)

[ Edited ]
No problem, thanks for helping me out. Alright I download one of the live distro, loaded into my laptop and it works great. Does that mean I have to replace my hard drive? Or is there a way I can fix it?
Message Edited by MDavis0530 on 09-04-2009 10:50 AM
Provost
erico
Message 6 of 30 (51,673 Views)

MDavis0530 wrote:
No problem, thanks for helping me out. Alright I download one of the live distro, loaded into my laptop and it works great. Does that mean I have to replace my hard drive? Or is there a way I can fix it?
Message Edited by MDavis0530 on 09-04-2009 10:50 AM

Hi,
That means that your hard drive has gone south..
If you know the brand of your hard drive you can go to the drive manufacturer's wbsite and download one of their hard drive utiities. I highly recommend doing that.The manufacturer's utility will give you absolute information on the condition of your hard disk. Some of the utilities canlow level format a drive and rescue itt, but don't count on that happening. That is why a laptop manufacturer will just recplace the drive if it is still within warranty. It is reasonably simple to remove the hard disk and see what the brand is. As far as fixing the hard disk...that is out of the question. If the manufacturer's utility tells you it is toast, that is akin to a coroner pronouncing a person deceased. .  

I hope that you made an HP System recovery cd set. If you have a set then it is generally simple to return your laptop to OEM state.

regards,
erico 

Tutor
MDavis0530
Message 7 of 30 (51,647 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP sent me the recovery disc. I was in the process of making one, got an error, restart..than all of a sudden I get a black screen saying "BOOTMGR is Missing" I tried the recovery disc but it froze several times. My laptop is still under I just got it last month. I'm probably going to have to have them replace the hard drive. Scared to send my laptop in for repairs as I heard/read stuff about HP..LOL

I got a free upgrade (Windows 7) from purchasing the laptop do you think that will solve my problem? Just wondering because I keep getting a screen (when no disc is loaded) to install an operating system. If that's the case then I'm going to use linux temporarily. I'm just running it from a disc I haven't installed it to the hard drive.

Message Edited by MDavis0530 on 09-04-2009 07:40 PM
Tutor
MDavis0530
Message 8 of 30 (51,634 Views)

I've decided to have it replace. It's still under warranty anyways. Thanks for all your help.
Provost
erico
Message 9 of 30 (51,617 Views)

HI,

You are welcome. 

Installing Win7 won't help as your hard disk has an issue. Hopefully you tested it as I suggested.

BTW...the idea for marking accepted solution is to mark the post which was the solution.  It helps others who are seeking a solution for the same or similar issue..

regards,

erico

Honor Student
Doctor_HP
Message 10 of 30 (51,581 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

You mentioned that you would be replacing the Hard Drive as it is still under warranty. But did your perform the HDD Self Test, to confirm whether the HDD has gone bad or not???

Even if the notebook is still under warranty, you would need to perform the HDD test to confirm that the HDD has lost soul. Only then would HP replace the HDD. 

Did you try reseating the HDD. Maybe the connection got a bit loose. Try reseating the HDD, then perform a HDD Self Test. If it comes as "Fail", then you would need to get it replaced. Else, if the HDD is fine, you could just send the notebook in for O.S reinstallation.

I hope you know how to perform a HDD self test in BIOS......

Doctor HP

Doctor HP

Heavens Wont Accept Me,
Hell Fears I Will Take Over
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation