Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hard Drive Short DST Check: Software Error appears while performing Hardrive Test in HP ENVY Sleekbook 6-1090ee. Please advice on how to resolve this error

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

That error normally means the hard drive has, or is about to fail.

The fix is to replace the hard drive and use the recovery disks to reinstall the operating system and programs that came with your PC.

If you can still access windows, back up any files you don't want to lose as soon as possible.

HP Recommended

Short DST is an application that runs in the Bios. A Software error may simply mean that application is not installed correcly. Backup any files then reset your computer completely to factory defaults using HP recovery. Go to HP Support Page and Make sure you update your Bios. Plug in AC, Remove any CD-ROMS, Flash Drives, SD-Cards, before updating Bios. After updating Bios. enter Bios Setup and Restore to factory defaults. Update anti-virus and Operating System. Run the test again and now it should pass. Just had this scenario with a client. Works like a charm.

HP Recommended

Same issue here. Only I've tride a brand new hard drive and get the same results. Within seconds of power on, it shuts off hard. Sometimes the backlight comes on and it gets to the HP logo, then bam - out go the lights!  I can go into the BIOS and stay there a long time. I run all the diags and make changes. Once, it actually stayed on and booted up. I downloaded the latest BIOS update, flashed it, and rebooted. It didn't help. Also, tried to boot to a bootable Windows 8 thumb drive. Same results, shuts down after 3 seconds. Tried many times to boot to external USB CD/DVD drive,  never succeeded.  The only error any diag reported was Hard Drive Optimized DST Check: Software Error. The fan spins at almost top speed but not immediately; it takes about two seconds after power on for it to start. I don't know, but that seems to be a clue. The only time I had a successful boot, the fan didn't engage at top speed, but a few notches slower.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.