Help with HP dv4 System Recovery (9523 Views)
Top Student
falling
Message 1 of 8 (9,523 Views)
Accepted Solution

Help with HP dv4 System Recovery

[ Edited ]

My laptop won't start normally. I must put it into SafeMode in order to start it. When I try to start it normally, a blue screen appears a second after the computer boots up. It's only up for a second, then my computer restarts, promptimg me to start in SafeMode.

I have a set of Recovery Discs created when I first bought the computer, but I can't figure out how to use them. From SafeMode, I can open Recovery Manager. I choose System recovery, and answer 'yes' when asked if I want to return my computer to factory configuration. When I click next, the computer restarts. A window pops up titled 'System Recovery Options.' I have the following options:

Startup Repair  (I tried this, it didn't help my issue)

Systemm restore (I can't access this, I had it turned off before this started and am now unable to turn it on)

System Image recovery (This is what I've been trying, but I cannot figure out exactly what I'm to do)

Windows Memory Diagnostic (Haven't tried this)

Command Prompt (No idea how to use this)

Please, I urgently need help to fix this. I have read other topics with similar issues, but as I can't even log in normally, none will work for me. I need to use an outside disc drive to use the recovry discs, and I have tried to use them, but as I said, I don't know what to do. Please help me get my System Recovery to work. Thank you.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 8 (9,511 Views)

Re: Help with HP dv4 System Recovery

Have you tried booting from your Recovery Disk?

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
falling
Message 3 of 8 (9,483 Views)

yes. But I'm a bit unsure how to go from there. I put the dvd in the drive (mine is external, connected by usb ports--could this be a problem perhaps?), and restart the computer like the handbook says. However, I continue to run into the problem that when i attempt to start the computer normally, the moment the login screen appears, the blue screen comes up and it will crash all over again.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 8 (9,461 Views)

Your laptop is not booting from the Recovery Disk .Enter BIOS setup, (holding  F10 key after power on for most HP laptops) and set the USB CD/DVD drive as first boot device.Save and Exit.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
falling
Message 5 of 8 (9,433 Views)

Thank you very much. That worked perfectly and my laptop is currently resetting. Again, thank you.

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 8 (9,403 Views)

You're welcome. :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
driley
Message 7 of 8 (1,293 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the Recovery CDs but computer keeps shutting down before I can do a recovery...I tried to do the recovery with out the CD's but windows won't load.....

Ok managed to run all 3 recovery CD's.....Still can't get windows to load with out computer shutting down....

Got it as far as the Weclome comes up and then shuts off....Sound works, so guess that's a good sign....What else can I do?

Now a window pops up after the Welcome and says Windows could not complete the intallation.  To Install windows on this computer restart installation....which I have done several times only to have the same message come back?

Honor Student
driley
Message 8 of 8 (1,291 Views)

I have this same problem..I do have my recovery CD's but the computer shuts down when trying to run them....I did the recovery with out them....but windows won't load it...so thought I should maybe use the CD's....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation