Question

Honor Student
burnaby
Message 1 of 8 (4,843 Views)
Accepted Solution

High CPU and Disk Usage slowing response

Two year old Pavilion dv7-2273ca running Windows 7 64 bit; Norton 360; IE8; Thunderbird; Microsoft Office 2007 .  Tend to have many windows open at once.  Set for automatic updates

Almost daily the laptop enters a period of very high CPU usage; often accompanied by high disk usage.  The response time on the laptop is compromised to the point that I often stop using it till the activity slows down.  I try to use the Resource Monitor but not familiar enough to tell if legit operations or something wrong.  Norton frequently shows svchost.exe and iexplore.exe as a heavy CPU user.

Is this normal behavior?  If not - any advice on how to identify the culprit?

At the advice of an HP tech I ran hard drive check and then System Restore in August.  hard drive fine.  System Restore did not make any difference to performance.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 8 (4,816 Views)

Re: High CPU and Disk Usage slowing response

Open a run box Win+R keys

type in

resmon

hit OK, stretch the window out to see everything,  then click on your cpu tab or disk tab, 

CPU tab, click the column header "cpu" to sort by higest usage, then watch to see what process is usng the disc the most

Disc Tab, click the "total b/sec" colum header to sort by highest. This will show which process is doing the most read/writes to the hard drive.

clicking the header sorts by highest or by lowest, it toggles between each with each click.

Honor Student
burnaby
Message 3 of 8 (4,812 Views)

Guess I didn't explain well enough.  I have looked at Resource Monitor - but don't know how to use it effectively.  For one - the screen is constantly refreshing - so can't always lock on to a single high source.

2nd, don't really understand the CPU screen - why do I have  Service CPU Usage; CPU 0 and CPU 1;    what is the difference between the green and blue lines on CPU - Total.    More importantly; how do I know if a usagfe is legit?  Why would iexplore use a huge amount of CPU?  If I have a whole bunch of svchost are they legit and functioning correctly?  Should I look at the Services or Associated Handles. 

Same with Disk - what are the different colored lines telling me?

Is there a document I can reference to learn how to use this tool?

Most Important - Is this normal?  Should I just live with it - or should I be looking for a problem?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 8 (4,810 Views)

Most processor have more than one core, so there will be CPU 0 and 1 for dual core processors. Different colors are the different cores 0 and 1

If you sort like I suggested the highest CPU usage will float to the top, you need to watch this when your cpu hog starts acting up.

Disk colors are read and write, its about all the hard drive does is either read or write data to the platters.

High CPU or disk usage can be considered normal at times, but should not be going on constantly.and dragging down system performance

Lets say you are streaming a video in your browser, CPU usage will rise, running other programs can do the same.

Disk activity can be high at times also, depends on what you are doing on the PC, but should not be high all the time.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/learn-how-to-use-the-windows-7-resource-monitor-f...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241677/how_to_use_resource_monitor.html

Honor Student
burnaby
Message 5 of 8 (4,802 Views)

Thanks for your answer.  These articles help a lot.

I never stream video - unless you count the occassional YouTube.  Other than a tendancy to leave lots of IE Windows open to go back and read later I am not a heavy user.  I have a few days left on my warranty so trying to figure out if I have a problem or not.

One more question pls - what level of hard faults is reasonable?  I have 4 GB installed, 1626 MB available; saw around 50 hard faults / sec on graph.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 8 (4,800 Views)

memory Tab?

Don't know for sure but my system shows none.

Test the hard drive then the memory modules, post back the results.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/How-to-test-RAM-and-HDD-Hard-Drive/td-p/...

Honor Student
burnaby
Message 7 of 8 (4,781 Views)

I ran both tests and they came back clean.

I really appreciate your taking the time to help me with this.

Top Student
rtelaptop
Message 8 of 8 (3,963 Views)

HP games freeze up - get high cpu message

When using the HP game set installed on laptop I have started to get a "high cpu" notice and the games slow down then the system comes to a complete stop. What is cause and solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation