Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The HP web site for Software & Driver Downloads offers 5 sub-models for my HP Pavilion dv9500us notebook.

I want to download updated HP drivers, but do not know how to identify which of the 5 models to download drivers from. My machine will not successfully install the online HP support tool.

Would appreciate any assistance.  Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

All of the Realtek drivers are shown when you click the "Previous versions available" link. or HERE Windows Update may have updated your driver.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Make a note of your Product Number found on the base of your notebook and enter this on the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&cc=us&=

Hopefully this will narrow the options down a bit.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Yes, searching by product number is indeed the best way.  However, if for whatever reason you cannot locate the product number, try holding down the "fn" key (function key) and press "esc".  A small window should pop up telling you the product number.  This information is also important if you ever need to call in to HP for support.

Also, another way to find your model is to go to the START menu and type "system information" in the search field.  Under the System Information window look at the value of "System Model".

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
HP Recommended

Thank you for taking time to respond.

Unfortunately, locating the product number by holding the "FN" key and pressing "Esc" did not produce a display windown on my machine.

I LOVED the wealth of informaion by searching on Start/"system information". Great suggestion. However, the System Model line did not show which specific model I owned, but only displayed the generic dv9500us model.

I was looking for an additional detailed listing, as follows:

Each line gives a link to a set of drivers. They might all be the same, but I'm not so sophisticated to know the difference.
Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Using your process, I located an HP page,HP Software and Driver Download site.However, some drivers are OLDER than the currently installed driver.

For example, for the Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver, the site offers only ONE driver, and it is older than the currently installed driver. That's not logical. If there were an older driver listed, there should also be one with the date of the driver currently installed on my machine, it seems to me. So I am reluctant to proceed.
Doing a search with the generic model name of HP Pavilion dv9500us notebook produces the Software and Download drivers page that lists 5 models within the dv9500us series, as follows:

I have done a search on my computer Start/system information, and the System Model listed there is the generic model of Paviion dv9500us.
Still wondering how to determine which specific model I own.
Thank you.

HP Recommended

Check the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.The model is in Section 1, unless it is a CTO model. Then you would need to use the P/N in Section 2 to determine specific model.

HP Service Tag

HP Recommended

Great answer, thank you.. An HP tool I downloaded that identifies which computer I have, confirms that I have a CTO machine.

I can easily locate the correct Softward and Download Drivers page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3369...

However, ther\e is a delima. For example, for the Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver, the site offers only ONE driver, and it is OLDER in version and date than the currently installed driver on my machine 

That's not logical.

If there were an older driver listed, there should also be one with the date of the driver currently installed on my machine, right?.

So I'm grateful for identifying my machine as a CTO model, but confused as to why only an older driver is offered on the HP site.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

All of the Realtek drivers are shown when you click the "Previous versions available" link. or HERE Windows Update may have updated your driver.

HP Recommended

All the help says to use the sticker or the support tools.  My unit has no support tools installed and no sticker on the bottom (didn't have one when I bought it).  This is a critical piece of information - thank you for sharing!

HP Recommended

@TheRage3K

Depends on which model you have where the Service Tag is attached.Some models have the Service Tag under battery I think. Locating Model Number

You can also try  "Automatically detect it" HERE

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.