Question

Intern
Kiyamudeen
Message 1 of 8 (3,282 Views)

How can I get the HP volume bar back in the Pavilion dv6-2170ee?

When I used to use the touch-sensitive volume bar to adjust the volume, this small "graphical box thing" appeared on the screen, indicating the current volume. Now I've no idea how much my volume really is without keeping my mouse over the Windows Volume Speaker thing. 

So how do I get the bar back? I do not want any replacement program that mimics it or is better than the HP bar - I just want the original HP volume bar back. What do I have to do?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 8 (3,243 Views)

Re: How can I get the HP volume bar back in the Pavilion dv6-2170ee?

Hi,

The OSD for volume is supplied by HP MediaSmart SmartMenu - download the installer using the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp46501-47000/sp46762.exe

When the download has completed, open the Downloads folder, right click the installer and select 'Run as Administartor' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
Kiyamudeen
Message 3 of 8 (3,235 Views)

Well, I did download it and install it. But the installation wizard stops at a command line. without any errors.. I restarted my PC, and the volume bar still didn't appear. So I clicked on the HP MediaSmart shortcut on the Start Menu, but nothing happens - I checked with task Manager and discovered that the process hasn't even started

Do I have to download a huge pack of things more? I don't mind as long as it's under 400MB.

And a little history - I gave my PC for a hard disk replacement to HP, and when I got it back, I didn't have any program from HP installed, except for HP MediaSmart Webcam.

~Kiyamudeen~

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 8 (3,227 Views)

Hi,

You have to have atleast One MediaSmart application installed before istalling SmartMenu.  Try installing Hp MediaSmart Music on the link below.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp51001-51500/sp51027.exe

When the installation has completed, restart the notebook and try installing HP MediaSmart SmartMenu again.

Regards,

DP-K

Intern
Kiyamudeen
Message 5 of 8 (3,217 Views)

I'm having a nightmare installing these programs (MediaSmart, MediaSmart Music). 

When I double-click on the file, it opens a wizard. When I click on 'Next', it closes. Same thing with the setup file you gave me earlier. 

Is something wrong with my PC or something?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 8 (3,208 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Ok, we'll try a different approach :smileyhappy:

I'm assuming you have a 64bit installation of Windows 7.

Download and install 7-Zip.

Now right click the Hp MediaSmart Music installer, select 7-Zip, select Extract Files and click OK.  Open the newly extracted folder, open src, scroll down the list of files until you find setup ( 9th from the bottom with a size of 310Kb ).  Right click this and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation - this may take up to 20 minutes to finish.  When done, restart the notebook and check if the program has installed correctly.

If it has installed correctly, right click the HP MediaSmart SmartMenu installer, select 7-Zip, select Extract Files and click OK.  Open this newly extracted folder, open HPSmartMenu, open hp, open tmp, open Src, right click SmartMenuSetup64 and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  Again, when this has completed, restart the notebook and see if you now have your volume OSD.

Regards,

DP-K

Intern
Kiyamudeen
Message 7 of 8 (3,191 Views)

Ok, HP MediaSmart Music installed perfectely after extracting, but StartMenu didn't.... It stopped after loading a dialog... 

Honor Student
Arthurmurr
Message 8 of 8 (917 Views)

Re: How can I get the HP volume bar back in the Pavilion dv6-2114sa?

I also have the same problem with the working volume scroll  where the on-screen blue bar is missing. I have downloaded the link:  ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp46501-47000/sp46762.exe ,  and ran the installer then restart my laptop, still the scroll bar is not shown on-screen.  My laptop is HP dv6-2115sa running  windows 7 64 bits.  Perhaps I have downloaded the wrong installer?  Your help is appreciated,  thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation