Question
How do I RESTORE my system to the original factory settings
Replies (290)

Honor Student
dannyrough
Message 21 of 291 (102,126 Views)

How do I RESTORE my system to the original factory settings

I have HP Pavilion dv4-2165dx Entertainment Notebook PC

I have upgraded from Windows 7 64 bit to Windows 7 32 bit I now know that this was not the best thing i've every done! As you know quite a few drivers do not work. Specifically the the system regularly crashes after 'Sleeping', Video's crash and fingure print recognition etc.

I would like to go back to the old Windows 7 64 bit - guess what, I didn't produce any discs when i bought the machine (again something i have now learnt!). There is no Recovery Manager listed in seaches on the machine or in the Programmes folders. The D partition is still visable and states Recovery with 15.5Gb used, but no visable files. F11 does not work.

i am using this method:

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager (without pressing F11).

but i find that: after Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and to select "Mark as Active Partition." i find  "reactive volume" but not lighted

Plz Can someone help or am i to dig deep and buy some discs from HP

Student
slimdr
Message 22 of 291 (101,768 Views)

Re: How do I RESTORE my system to the original factory settings

[ Edited ]

please my pc model is dm41265dx, serial number; {Removed for privacy}, & product number;XZ298UA#ABA. F11 did not work, getting into disk management, right clicking on the hp recovery partition, i found the option reactivate volume. but its greyed out and can't be used. please help, I need my system back to original factory settings. I have upgraded to windows7 professional from the windows 7 home basic that came with the pc. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Provost
CherylG
Message 23 of 291 (101,443 Views)

@slimdr

Order Recovery Media from HP. Usually around $16:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5051...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
darmawandjohan
Message 24 of 291 (100,914 Views)

Hi there, I bought my DV4-2165dx almost 2 years ago U.S. and currently using it in Indonesia. I did a successful recovery last week and when I wanted to try to do another recovery, I found similar cases like some members here. When I hit the F11 key, nothing happened and when I did a HP system recovery, it said: "Windows Boot Manager - Status 0xc0000225, info: The boot selection failed because a requried device is inaccessible."

Please help, because this is getting really frustrating. I went to local HP Store in Indonesia and they told me that once I have created a copy of Recovery to DVD's then I will no longer be able to do a recovery ever again. I find this a bit unbelievable.

Also, I tried to go into disk management but the system won't allow me to select "Reactivate Volume".

Thanks in advance.

Student
krazylegs
Message 25 of 291 (100,776 Views)

my hdd crashed and didn't make restore disks is there any where that i can download the disks from for an hp nc6320

i would like to put win XP back on it

thanks

Student
Donnylutz
Message 26 of 291 (100,655 Views)

CherylG..........

YOU ARE A GENIUS!  Long story short...........

My newphew thought it would be a good idea to download a torrent of windows 7 ultimate 32 bit so he could than play games on my laptop.........I originally had windows 7 home 64 bit

In any event, the software he downloaded installed but ran crappy and had a lovely disclaimer come up all the time letting us know that it's not legit.  I knew I had to reformat.....but without a disk it can be difficult.  I saw that the recovery drive had 14 gigs of something in it, but could not figure out how to access it!

I spoke to HP support and they wanted me to buy a disk, which drove me crazy considering I own a copy of windows 7 home and should be able to reinstall it......why didn't HP know about this option?....or do they just want the small fee from sending you the disk?????

I searched for hours online and FINALLY found your post!  After copying everything to an external hard drive (when my newphew installed the new windows it put all my old files into a folder.......I guess windows can do something good...) and making my recovery partition active, the computer just fixed itself.

I can't tell you how thankful I am for you!.......and my nephew shares the sentiment as I was about to kick him off my 10th story balcony!!!!!!

Stay wonderful! and may the computer Gods bless you!!!!

Provost
CherylG
Message 27 of 291 (100,649 Views)

@Donnylutz

Glad to hear you have it sorted. Might be a good idea to burn your Windows7 Recovery Disk now:

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
Sunstrokes
Message 28 of 291 (100,429 Views)

@CherylG: Hi Cheryl.

Thanks for your help, i can recover my windows XP after change the recovery partition to active. Thanks a lot :smileyhappy: 

Top Student
michaelotinda
Message 29 of 291 (100,231 Views)

I tried this and it worked perfectly. Kudos

Honor Student
James_Marfa
Message 30 of 291 (100,212 Views)

Hi, i have a hp pavilion a6453d. I've already tried system recovery in reformatting my PC last year and it was successful but when i try to reformat it again by pressing  f11 system recovery and it did not  work I've also tried to find the recovery partition and it was moved in another driver would that make a problem? and where will i put the recovery partition if it would create a problem?. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation