How do I check and remove corrupt files? (246 Views)
Intern
vicmac500
Message 1 of 8 (246 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I check and remove corrupt files?

I was told that the performance of my notebook could be effected by missing or corrupt files. I can't find system check in control panel and it is not found when I try to type it in and run. I do not have the original recovery disk or the installation disk.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 8 (236 Views)

Re: How do I check and remove corrupt files?

The recent laptops do have the ability to make Recovery DVD sets, see here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4343021&task...

Same page has instructions for ordering Recovery DVD set, if necessary.

One way to run a check and repair corrupt files is to open cmd in the start menu, then right click and "Run as Adminidtrator".  Then type chkdsk c:/ r

• If you get a "Chkdsk cannot run" error, type Y, ChkDsk will run on your next Windows boot

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Intern
vicmac500
Message 3 of 8 (229 Views)

Thanks but the link does not apply to my notebook, it is an older one.
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 8 (218 Views)

Really need the model number and the Windows version to offer any more meaningful help, in that case.

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

Intern
vicmac500
Message 5 of 8 (214 Views)

I have an hp mini 1030nr PC running windows xp sp3

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 6 of 8 (211 Views)

According to this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01600627&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

If this is truely a hp mini 1030nr then it does not have a hard drive (has an SSD), but if it is a hp mini 110-1030nr, then it does have a hard drive.

I cannot comment on the one with an SSD, but it would appear that the 110-1030nr does not incorporate the F10 or F11 Recovery

Intern
vicmac500
Message 7 of 8 (208 Views)

I do have the hp mini 1030nr not the 110-1030nr, i also have windows xp pro and microsoft office 2010. This probably doesn't help. What is an SSD?
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 8 of 8 (201 Views)

[ Edited ]

According to the page I linked in the other post: Hard Drive16 GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module).  Solid State Drive= SSD

You can still do the other:

One way to run a check and repair corrupt files is to open cmd in the start menu, then right click and "Run as Administrator".  Then type chkdsk c:/ r

• If you get a "Chkdsk cannot run" error, type Y, ChkDsk will run on your next Windows boot

That will possibly fix any system file corruption but not others.  It you suspect corruption in other or all files, then probably the SSD is having problems.  That cannot be fixed with conventional methods, AFAIK.  Maybe time to replace that with either a new SSD or a conventional hard drive, if possible.  Not sure how HP implimented the SSD into the mini.

Since there is no DVD/CD drive built into the unit, get an external hard drive or flash drive and backup any data you deem imortant before things get worse.  You can buy flash drives 16GB or larger, so that would be my suggestion.  Just copy everything to a flash drive before anything else is done.

BTW: I did find Recovery media here: http://www.computersurgeons.com/SearchProducts.aspx?sbt=hp%20mini%201030nr%20&bkm=Results#Results

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation