Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Good day,

I just bought and Im the proud owner of a  HP Envy 15-k064nd laptop.

I would like to disable the fingerprint reader because it keeps asking for codes while I'm typing on the keyboard. Could you please help me by telling me how I can disable the fingerprint reader please?

Thank you,

Anne-Els

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please perform the steps as shown below to resolve the issue

Turn off Biometric Logins:

Remove the biometric login option:

Control Panel > Biometric Devices > Change Biometric Settings

UNCHECK "Allow users to log on to Windows using their fingerprints"

Save the changes.

To remove Biometrics data for all users, click the radio (round) button "Biometrics off"

Disable the Validity Sensor Driver:

The Validity Sensor Driver controls the fingerprinter hardware.

The SimplePass software controls the password database.

You can disable the device.  The fingerprinter will no long work as long as the device remains disabled.

Control Panel > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Right-Click on Validity Sensor > Disable

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Please perform the steps as shown below to resolve the issue

Turn off Biometric Logins:

Remove the biometric login option:

Control Panel > Biometric Devices > Change Biometric Settings

UNCHECK "Allow users to log on to Windows using their fingerprints"

Save the changes.

To remove Biometrics data for all users, click the radio (round) button "Biometrics off"

Disable the Validity Sensor Driver:

The Validity Sensor Driver controls the fingerprinter hardware.

The SimplePass software controls the password database.

You can disable the device.  The fingerprinter will no long work as long as the device remains disabled.

Control Panel > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Right-Click on Validity Sensor > Disable

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I solved my problem the way you described. Thanks

HP Recommended

I don't see anything in my Control Panel remotely close to "Biometric Devices".  I see HP Simplepass but when I click on that is says "get started".  When I click on "get started" it wants me to register my finger, but then says it's already registered.  It gives me no other options.  I just want to completed shut down the finger scanner as I think it's causing my windows 10 to flicker when I open my laptop.

HP Recommended

Its driving me mad and the bight light is hurting my eyes.

This is a really useless tool and I can't switch it off and make me hate HP every time I boot up.

I do not have biometrics in my control panel Windows 10

Help, it is giving me migraines

Nick

HP Recommended

Fortunately you don't need to go through the Control Panel in Windows 10, you can right-click on the "Start"/WIndows icon and choose Device Manager from the list.

In here you should see "Biometric devices", click this and you should see "Validity Sensors" - right-click this and choose the Disable option. Job done.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.