Question

Top Student
Onema
Message 1 of 5 (10,308 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I get rid of Claro search? It has hijacked Google.

How do I get rid of this very tricky malware? It has hi-jacked Google search and according to the very limited feedback on-line, it is very difficult to get rid of and 'advice' often ends up trying to flog me some antivirus software. I've tried the obvious stuff: Uninstall - searched and no sign of it, then Controls, no sign of it, then Tools>Options>Settings>Search Providers and reset Google to default and guess what... Claro still hi-jcks Google and apparently is very busy reading this? Help...

Top Student
GordonMcKay
Message 2 of 5 (10,282 Views)

Re: How do I get rid of Claro search? It has hijacked Google.

Hi,

I had a similar problem with Babylon Search, have only just solved it by downloading AVG Anti-Virus (FREE!! and it's associated PC Tune-up FREE!! for 24 hours) Once installed the PC Tune-up scanned my system for junk files, fragmented files etc,etc. It then deleted it when you asked it to fix now and lo and behold Babylon had gone!!!. Please give it a try, it's free at least for 24 hours of PC Tune-up and it worked for me. Good Luck,

Top Student
Onema
Message 3 of 5 (10,229 Views)

Many thanks Gordon for your very prompt reply and recommendation. I don't know how Claro got past my NORTON antivirus but it did. Embarrasingly, after hours of near panic I think I have got rid of Claro owing to my wife's intervention! She suggested RESTORE! Before you smile, I have been a prisoner of MSN since Babbage's days and have always found that RESTORE never worked but this time it did!  I had a look at previous RESTORE points and noticed a glut of Microsoft "Urgent Security" updates, I went beyond them by 7 days and after 7 minutes I was unbelievably 'back to Microsoft normal'. I will now check these 'Urgent' security updates and install them manually - I cannot be sure if this is how Claro snook in but you recall what Sherlock Holmes said about finding the truth? Interestingly, I read that Gmail stops this malware so how come they know about it and my Virgin mail doesn't? However, regarding your recommendation, it is fully appreciated and held in reserve (only free for 24hrs - I'll, 'keep my powder dry!' for now at least). I've reported my findings to Norton. Our techies use AVG and often tell me to ditch NORTON, I will adapt and come next renewal bill will say goodbye - I guess loyalty is blind? My only remaining concern is that Claro messes with one's registries... I can't be sure if Claro is dormant and waiting to be resurrected either by time, or 'trigger'. Aside: you do not say what you are a student of, if you're after a qualification, keep up the good work and best wishes for your future. To paraphrase Darwin: 'It is not intelligence that leads to success, it is the ability to adapt", I benefitted by adapting to my technophobe wife's advice, now apparently I owe her another pair of shoes! Yours gratefully, O.

Student
1492gk
Message 4 of 5 (8,706 Views)

Re: I get rid of ClaroSearch

This ClaroSearch has taken Chrome and google I have gone into everything to delete it and it doesn't seem to work I don't have any computer knowledge I have tried to do what I can

Student
OnceagainRich
Message 5 of 5 (8,329 Views)

Thanks for the restore hint - but hey for a basic guy - what does that mean and how do I do it? Gotta get rid of Claro Search from my new hp

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation