Question

Top Student
natacha07
Message 1 of 11 (72,846 Views)

How do I open .wim file after backup?

My computer had to be reboot with an HP tech rep, but he made sure I backep up my files on a usb drive.  Now, my computer back working as though new, but I inserted the usb drive and see all the files under .wim file.  Can someone please give me the steps, How do I open .wim files after backup.

Regents Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 11 (72,843 Views)

Re: How do I open .wim file after backup?

[ Edited ]

Hi

Please find the weblink given below might help you.

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7)

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
Student
Curmudgeon7
Message 3 of 11 (72,277 Views)

If I open the backup files, will they overwrite my current files and therefore lose data I have created since the backup? Thanx for the response.

Tutor
apkplus
Message 4 of 11 (70,764 Views)

[ Edited ]

Use 7-zip software for extract .wim files. download 7 zip from here or go to www.7-zip.org/download.html. Visit: www.infolet.org

Student
tomandryan
Message 5 of 11 (62,618 Views)

how do i open wim file after backup

Student
rlpmjp
Message 6 of 11 (53,802 Views)

Thanks, no matter how many boxes I checked to recover, the Recovery Manager failed at 69% or 78% (usually 78%)!! Tried 8 times with different boxes checked to recover different files.
Honor Student
csmbird
Message 7 of 11 (53,402 Views)

My computer had to be restored after some windows problems. Prior to restore, all files were backed up.  Now, my computer back working as though new, buNow after restore when I open my back ups, I get all these files with the suffix .WIM. Some of these files are very large, so I guess they contain my backup data. But how do I open these files please?

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 8 of 11 (53,348 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone.  I understand you're having trouble accessing the files on your backup discs.

Take a look at this thread and follow the steps.  It should allow you to access the files inside your *.WIM archives.

Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Student
kai55
Message 9 of 11 (38,361 Views)

Thanks, that link was helpful.  Now, how to I reinstall programs like Word, Kapersky and files such as Favorites?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Student
Raha-HP
Message 10 of 11 (38,352 Views)

How do I open .wim file after backup?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation