Question

Tutor
rohitagl
Message 1 of 24 (28,672 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to Format My Hp DV6 Laptop

Hello, 

Can you please tell me how to format my Hp Pavilion Dv6 Laptop. I have Windows 7 on it. I also see a recovery partition in my Computer option.

My system has root virus in it. Whenever I Boot scan my computer I see many virus there. I tried to remove it from Antimalware and Spyware too. But I cannot get rid of it. Using Spyware last week, I lost all the files in my system. Then I had to use recovery software to recover all my data. My friend suggested me to format my computer. Will that be helpful? 

Please guide me..

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 24 (28,633 Views)

Re: How to Format My Hp DV6 Laptop

[ Edited ]

Formatting the hard drive on your notebook is not a great idea. Ask your friend if he plans on giving you a legal genuine installation DVD of the operating system on your notebook.

Please identify your notebook/pc with more than the series number. Look at the base/rear/side of the notebook/pc at the barcoded sticker. Post items numbered 1 and 2 on the following image.
c01931836.gif
Post the installed operating system version ( and whether it is 32 or 64-bit)

Are you able to still use the internet?

What are you using to scan your notebook for viruses, etc?

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
rohitagl
Message 3 of 24 (28,600 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Erico,

I am using Windows 7. 32 bit. I am not sure about it.So do I check Weather it is 32 or 64 bit.

I use Avast Anti virus version 6.0.

I can still use internet on my system. When I run anti spyware on my system. It asked to delete around 160 files and many of those files contains registry key. I guess that was the reason I lost all my data.  After that when I restarted my computer, my hard disk was all blank. Everything was deleted. I was't even able to acess the internet. there were no active software in my system. Even HP dock creates problem now. Then I used  System restore to restore my system condition to previous night. Then I could use internet and other stuffs but no data files were recovered from it. Data recovery software could only recover those files. So I used it and saved my data in my external hard disk.

My Model # is - Hp Dv6 1360us

VM219UA#ABA

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 24 (28,588 Views)

Go to the ESET.com website and run the online scanner. Allow it to run and it should find all the bad stuff and quarantine it. With your permission the scanner will delete only the malware, viuses and adware.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
rohitagl
Message 5 of 24 (28,544 Views)

Hi Erico, 

As you mentioned, I scanned my computer from ESET. There was no virus found. What should I do next? I guess if i boot scan my computer again then I might see the virus there. My recovered data in my external hard disk has virus too. My external hard disk is new. SO there is no point of any virus there prior to its first use. 

Thanks

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 24 (28,533 Views)

OK. So what is your plan? You never gave a reason for wanting to format the hard disk.

If you are ready to format your hard disk leave the recovery partition alone since it contains your original OS. Just format the C: partition and install whatever OS you were planning to install.

Have fun!

Best regards,

erico

Tutor
rohitagl
Message 7 of 24 (28,523 Views)

Well, the only reason to format my hard disk was to get rid of the viruses. When you told me to scan my computer from ESET. I thought if it works then I would never format my hard disk. But now I have no clue. Is there any way i can show you my  boot scan reports? Can I attach files here in post?  I just wanted to show you, what kind of virus is that or where it is. 

thanks

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 24 (28,519 Views)

rohitagl wrote:

Well, the only reason to format my hard disk was to get rid of the viruses. When you told me to scan my computer from ESET. I thought if it works then I would never format my hard disk. But now I have no clue. Is there any way i can show you my  boot scan reports? Can I attach files here in post?  I just wanted to show you, what kind of virus is that or where it is. 

thanks

If the ESET scan reports it as clean then you should have no problem.

If you are using Win7 then you can view reports on your display and use the snipping tool to take screenshots and then post them here.

Best regards,
erico

Tutor
rohitagl
Message 9 of 24 (28,507 Views)

Hi Erico, 

I see this screen with CMD.exe file when i restart my computer everytime and it says many time access denied in it. 

Image 1

My avast boot scan report and I cannot even move it to chest.

Image 2 

Avast Boot scan Report.png

i see this on every restart

Provost
erico
Message 10 of 24 (28,489 Views)

Go back to ESET.com and run the online scan. Be sure and allow it to delete what it finds. You will have to disable the Avast before you do this. If you did not do it before that could be why ESET didn't find it the first scan. 

Two Antivirus programs running at the same time will compete for  the same memory space and fail to operate properly. 

You would be better off with Microsoft Security Essentials than Avast.

I must admit I like Avast because  It brings in business for me. :smileyhappy:  I do not recommend the use of Avast to my clients.

Best regards,
erico

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation