Question

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 1 of 38 (59,935 Views)

How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc

[ Edited ]

1a)  Here is very useful article from PCWorld.com. The article is entitled "How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc" and means just what it says. The article also has links to Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder and legitimate Windows 7 ISOs from Digital River, a licensed distributor of Microsoft software. The article lists "Step 1" as;

"Find your Windows 7 product key: Typically this 25-character alphanumeric string is printed on a sticker affixed to your PC or on documentation included with your PC. Alternatively, you can use a keyfinder program such as Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to pull your product key from the Registry. You need your product key to reinstall Windows."

1b)  Using a key finder, however, is only useful if the Windows 7 product key was printed on a sticker (Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity) affixed to your PC, on documentation included with your PC, or sent via email by Microsoft. Assuming your computer came from one of the big brand computer manufacturers... HP, Sony, Dell, Gateway, etc... as most do, it uses a generic "mass activation" OEM SLP key. Trying to use this key by itself isn't going to work. This OEM SLP key needs to be mated with an OEM SLP certificate and an appropriate OEM BIOS with a proper SLIC table.

1c)  Here is where ABR Beta With Windows 7 Support comes to the rescue. Follow the "How to use it" section of ABR for Windows Vista for information and instructions on how to use ABR. The steps listed for Vista apply to Windows 7 as well. Perform the "activation backup" to "backup" and save the OEM SLP key and OEM SLP certificate. Save the entire ABR folder to an external location for later use. This will allow you to pre-activate your "clean" Windows 7 install on the computer you pulled the key and certificate from.

1d)  Now install Windows 7 from your new "Windows 7" disc or USB stick, following all prompts as needed. Don't enter a Windows 7 product key if request. Also, don't allow Windows to try to auto-activate. Once Windows is fully installed, run ABR "activation restore" to "restore" the previously backed up product key and certificate to the new Windows 7 install. Verify that Windows is activated, repeat "activation restore" if needed.

2)  Here is another useful article, this time from SevenForums.com. This arcticle is entitled "Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7" and provides detailed steps required to backup your computer, audit current hardware and software, locate software and drivers, install and activate Windows 7, and create a Windows 7 Backup Image of your fresh install.

Good luck.

Links to additional Windows 7 SP1 "Editions" and "Languages" can be found HERE and HERE.

Link to "ei.cfg Removal Utility". The "ei.cfg Removal Utility" is a simple tool that will remove the ei.cfg  from any Windows ISO disc image, thereby converting the image into a "universal disc" that will prompt the user to select an edition during setup instead of being forced to use different discs for different versions of Windows 7.

Direct link to Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool.

<Cross posted to Desktop Operating Systems, Software & Recovery for Desktop users>

EDITED by Frank on 8/28/2013

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Teacher
Varadar
Message 2 of 38 (59,444 Views)

Re: How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc

AMAZING POST.... ABR for Windows Vista-- when we do clean install of vista. then even the recovery manager will delete?
Provost
erico
Message 3 of 38 (59,118 Views)

Varadar wrote:
AMAZING POST.... ABR for Windows Vista-- when we do clean install of vista. then even the recovery manager will delete?

That depends on the choices you make during the custom install.

If you just choose to format the partition where the old Windows was installed and install it there, then the recovery partition won't be deleted.

If you choose the delete all partitions on the hard disk, click on new and then create a partition for Windows to install to, then the restore partition and HP_Tools partition will have been deleted.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
dalerirl
Message 4 of 38 (59,102 Views)

hi guys! i really hope some of you can help me here. my hard drive on my g6-1210sa Notebook has gone bust with all data i had there. laptop is out of warranty so i already ordered new hdd but the problem is i never made a recovery disk!!! my question is is it possible to recover my original windows 7 that came with laptop and all manufacturer programms that came with it.i mean not from old hdd, it gone totally but from hp web site perhaps?i still have that windows sticker on the back of my laptop by the way. Big thanks in advance

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 38 (59,099 Views)

Your best option would be to purchase a recovery disk set from HP or from an HP partner.

This thread is about is installing Windows without a recovery disk set. The downside of this method is that one has to locate all drivers after or before the install. The bundled programs and drivers are part of the recovery disk set and not available for download on the HP web support server. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 6 of 38 (59,096 Views)

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion g6-1210sa Notebook Computer and here are all of the HP Software and Driver Downloads available for your computer.

There is no chance of downloading recovery discs or all of the HP value added software that came with your computer. If you didn't create the HP Recovery Disc set, as recommended, when you first setup your computer... you can try to contact HP in your region or the region the computer was originally sold in and request a HP Recovery Disc set.

Your other option is to download the version of Windows 7 that was originally installed on your computer from the link in the first post in this thread and use the Windows product key located on the bottom of your computer.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

Honor Student
dalerirl
Message 7 of 38 (59,074 Views)

thanks guys for quick respond.i did some reading through your links so i think my best option is to try and find recovery disk from hp partners or auction sites.if no luck then ill try the method in the first post as  suggested although is seems a bit tricky for me. thanks anyway guys.will ask again if have more problem

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 8 of 38 (59,047 Views)

dalerirl,

The process is very easy and not tricky at all. Just follow the instructions below and use the links provided;

1. Download the ISO file for your localized version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit from HERE.

2. Burn the ISO to DVD using native Windows 7 CD/DVD software or create a bootable USB stick using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool.

3. Place the new created Windows 7 media in your g6-1210sa and turn on the computer to boot from the media.

4. Answer all the prompts as required, except do not enter the Windows product key at this time.

5. Once Windows 7 is completely installed, enter the Windows product key from the bottom of your computer and activate Windows if needed.

6. Install all required drivers from HERE and then install all Windows 7 updates from Windows/Microsoft update.

That is it... if any device is still labeled "unknown" or has a yellow excalmation mark in the Windows Device Manager, please post the "Hardware Ids" of those devices.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

Honor Student
dalerirl
Message 9 of 38 (58,977 Views)

thanks . this seems easy enough for me. it was this stuff that worried me i wont be able to do : " Perform the "activation backup" to "backup" and save the OEM SLP key and OEM SLP certificate. Save the entire ABR folder to an external location for later use".

Teacher
Varadar
Message 10 of 38 (58,968 Views)

But what about Hp Recovery Manager
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation