Question

Intern
dipuab
Message 1 of 8 (10,639 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to backup pre-installed windows 8 on HP Pavilion G6 2302ax laptop?

Hi,i have a HP Pavilion G6 laptop. The laptop came with a pre installed copy of windows 8. I need to create a backup of this OS so that i can re-install it when  the current OS crashes one day. Is there any way to find the product key, so that i can install windows from a disk using this product key?.  If any one can provide any usefull information please help.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 8 (10,633 Views)

Re: How to backup pre-installed windows 8 on HP Pavilion G6 2302ax laptop?

Hi

The product key is embedded in the BIOS. You wont need to write it down to reinstall W8 OEM.

Below is a link which should be of help to you regarding making recovery media.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03481733&cc=us&destPage=document&jumpid=reg_r10...

Intern
dipuab
Message 3 of 8 (10,622 Views)

Hi,Paul

Thanks again! for helping.

I would like to know what happens if i install  windows8 from another disc? will the setup detect the product key automatically and continue install?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 8 (10,619 Views)

You're very welcome.

Yes it will, but here is the catch...you have to use a W8 installation disk that is exactly the same as the OS that HP installed on your notebook.

For example it is probably windows 8 (Standard) OEM.

You will need a Windows 8 Standard OEM installation disk, not a retail disk, not a W8 pro disk.

The problem is that the embedded key in the BIOS automatically populates the install and if it is not the right version, you get an Invalid Product Key error and there is no way to change the key like you can in XP, Vista or W7.

This means you need to buy an OEM W8 (standard) install disk from an online retailer that sells OEM software.

Currently there are no free OEM W8 ISO download files available from anywhere.

You will have an extra key that you can use on another PC, but that is the only way you can install W8 without using your recovery disks.

There are several forum members who downloaded the W8 Pro upgrade when it was only $39.99 and it would not install on their W8 PC's because the standard product key populated the install and aborted.

Users wanting to upgrade to W8 Pro have to use the anytime upgrade option.

I hope I have explained this OK for you.

Intern
dipuab
Message 5 of 8 (10,592 Views)

Yes i understand.

So only option available for me is to buy a new W8 disc or create recovery discs from current W8 installation. right?.

I also want to tell you that you have a great knowledge in this field and thanks for sharing some of it with me. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 8 (10,589 Views)

You're very welcome.

Yes, that is correct.

1.  Use the recovery disks to reinstall the OS and programs that came with the PC

2. Buy a W8 OEM disk that matches what HP installed on your PC (probably plain Windows 8 (non-Pro)).

Thank you for the compliment. 

I still have a whole lot to learn about Windows 8.  It is much different than XP, Vista or W7.

Student
dhimant
Message 7 of 8 (5,527 Views)

hi 

thxs a lot. 

cheers

regds

Honor Student
puribijay
Message 8 of 8 (3,233 Views)

does windows 8.1 core works?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation