Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi!

I got a Compaq Presario CQ57-400SO I want to install with Windows XP instead of Windows 7, which is included. I've got two questions now since I've hit some bumps.

1. Is there any, at all, driver support for Windows XP to get a hold of?

2. How am I supose to boot from USB (my DVD-ROM is broken)?

+ Have converted my Windows XP installation disc to USB.

- I've tried changing the boot order, and no, the USB isn't marked with ! so it should work.

- I've tried pressing F9 which gets me to the Boot Option Menu. But once I press the USB drive it just goes straight to Windows (the pre-installed).

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Robin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @kvartsnorsk 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I know you are looking for drivers for Windows XP, unfortunately, that notebook was not sold configured for that OS. Drivers are available for windows 7 and 8 (both 32 and 64 bit)

What if I Don't See My Operating System?

As to the USB boot device, it is likely that your usb boot image is not UEFI, so you would have to enable legacy boot in the BIOS to allow for it to boot off of that device.

About UEFI and the Startup Menu

Enable Legacy Boot Mode - NeoSmart Knowledgebase

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @kvartsnorsk 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I know you are looking for drivers for Windows XP, unfortunately, that notebook was not sold configured for that OS. Drivers are available for windows 7 and 8 (both 32 and 64 bit)

What if I Don't See My Operating System?

As to the USB boot device, it is likely that your usb boot image is not UEFI, so you would have to enable legacy boot in the BIOS to allow for it to boot off of that device.

About UEFI and the Startup Menu

Enable Legacy Boot Mode - NeoSmart Knowledgebase

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot!
Gave me the answers I was looking for!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.