Question

Honor Student
jayesh86
Message 1 of 8 (2,874 Views)

How to creat back-up disk on HP DV6 notebook

I recently purchased HPPevilion  HV6 with Windows 7 operating system. As usual with new notebook, this one didn't come with back up OS disk or any other disk.

How to create OS back up disk if required to re-install (or format computer) in future?

Do I need to make any other disk as pracaution?

Any help is much appreciated.....regards

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 8 (2,864 Views)

Re: How to creat back-up disk on HP DV6 notebook

Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 8 (2,863 Views)

Hi,

Click the Start Menu and then click All Programs.  Scroll down the list until you find a folder called Recovery Manager.  Open this folder and you should see the Recovery Disc Creator application.  Double click this to start the process of creating your Recovery DVDs.  Use good quality discs ( ie Verbatim, Sony ) and all of the same brand.

Best wishes and a happy new year,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 8 (2,854 Views)

Hi,

jayesh86 wrote:

I recently purchased HPPevilion  HV6 with Windows 7 operating system. As usual with new notebook, this one didn't come with back up OS disk or any other disk.

How to create OS back up disk if required to re-install (or format computer) in future?

Do I need to make any other disk as pracaution?

Any help is much appreciated.....regards

Take a read of this HP web document.

The Recovery CD Creator software can be used to creat a set of recovery CDs for your computer. Because this software actually contains the Operating System, the Creator program allows only one complete set of CDs to be created. This data that will be put onto the CD is the same as the recovery CDs that you’d receive if you’d actually ordered them from HP.

You’ll need a blank CD-R or blank DVD-R.

To begin, click Start, then All Programs. If you have an HP Pavilion click Hewlett-Packard and then HP PC Recovery CD Creator. If not, try clicking PC Help & Tools, then HP CD Recovery CD-DVD Creator to start the program.

You will see a welcome screen. Click the Continue button on each screen to start the disc creator. You will see how many disks are necessary to create the HP recovery disks. Label them, so you do not get confused after each burn.

The disk will burn, verify data, then eject each CD when complete. When the process is complete, you should have a working set of HP restore disks.

You will not be able to create another set, so if you lose or damage these disks, you’ll need to contact HP for a replacement set. the replacement CD set is  inexpensive.

best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
cham77
Message 5 of 8 (2,847 Views)

[ Edited ]

Its more like disks, plural.  my dv7 needed 5 DVD's just for the Recovery disks and then I just needed one CD-R for the "Repair" disk

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 8 (2,841 Views)

Re: How to create back-up disk on HP DV6 notebook

Just to add to Mumbodogs second link "Create a System Image". I find this works better then the HP recovery method.

These two applications, creating a system repair disc and the system image are used together to restore your computer.

This has to be done when the computer is clean though, if not, it will mirror image any damage a virus has done to the registry, assuming there was a virus attack.

Honor Student
jayesh86
Message 7 of 8 (2,749 Views)

Thank you very much for all your support (everyone responded to my request). This was first time I used this forum and found supportive.

regards

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 8 of 8 (2,744 Views)

jayesh86 wrote:

Thank you very much for all your support (everyone responded to my request). This was first time I used this forum and found supportive.

regards

You are welcome from all of us.  :smileyhappy:

Welcome to the HP forums.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation