Question

Honor Student
leigha
Message 1 of 5 (6,860 Views)

How to downgrade to Windows 7

I have a 7HP Pavilion g6-223 and would like to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7...how can I do this?

Regents Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 5 (6,852 Views)

Re: How to downgrade to Windows 7

Hi

Please find the link given below might help you understand better.

Understanding downgrade rights

Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 3 of 5 (6,851 Views)

First make your set of W8 recovery disks. Then you need to change some BIOS settings in order to boot the from the W7 installation media and run W7.

See the link below for the settings to change.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03659945&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

If you need drivers, please follow these steps:
1. In the Run box type devmgmt.msc.
2. Unknown devices would be listed as such and marked out with a yellow question mark.
3. Select the unknown device or other device for which you need drivers and right click to access Properties.
4. In the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id  or Hardware ID from the drop down.
5. An alphanumeric string like this PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_7130&SUBSYS_012F1025&REV_01\4&6B16D5B&0&33F0 is the identification marker for the device.
6. Please provide this number so that we can suggest the appropriate driver.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to say thanks!***
Intern
Dusty27
Message 4 of 5 (6,850 Views)

If Windows 8 is your original operating system then you will have to purchase a version of Windows 7 to install if your machine is compatible. I would say if you want to downgrade due to not liking Windows 8 ... you are able to use the desktop view in Windows 8 just like it were Windows 7 except for not having a start menu . There are apps such as our own which you can install to get the start menu or something like itto use .  Here is a link to ours :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03557078&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

After clicking the link above you can download our version of a "start" menu called Quick Start and it will have infromation , instructions , etc. on the download page .

Also , getting comfortable with navigating Windows 8 helps although it may not be for everyone. I was standoffish at first but have come to love it.

I am an HP Employee however, my comments are strictly my opinion.

***Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!.***
***Clicking Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue helps others who are searching***

++You must be the originator of thread to see the option Accept as Solution++
Top Student
LongHammer
Message 5 of 5 (6,825 Views)

posted on the same subject and cited all the problems Windows 8 was giving me. I was wondering if your desire to down grade are for the same reasons. What really irks me is that twice the system locked up and would run diagnostics and inform me it could not be restored. So had to reinstall from the D drive. And the touchpad will lock up frequently for a couple minutes, once for nearly 5 minutes. **bleep**. Just now the cursor locked up for two minutes stopping my typing here.  I am finding Windows 8 has more bugs than the dreaded Windows Me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation