Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hp envy 6 sleekbook 6z 1100

I have already disable the secure boot in the BIOS

But I still cannot install the ubuntu 13.04

The installation was good and smooth

But after reboot, there is no boot menu appear for me to choose which OS I want to boot

I wonder if HP locked something.........:( or should I turn on Legacy support in the BIOS? But ubuntu 13.04 should support EFL BIOS

I need Ubuntu for work!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following tutorials will help:

http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-and-linux.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNCSbTyUzoM

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following tutorials will help:

http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-and-linux.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNCSbTyUzoM

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks!!

It seems the link staying my problem:

First install Ubuntu along with Windows 8 and cannot boot into Linux

I will try it now and report back, cross my finger

HP Recommended

Thanks, I can boot into the Ubuntu now

Step:

1. After install Ubuntu along Windows 8, it will not boot into the Ubuntu

2, download EasyBCD --> backup your BCD setting first --> Add New Entry --> Linux --> GRUB2 --> Add

3. Once you reboot, the system allow you to choose either wind 8 or linux

4. choose linux , here is the trick part, Hp has something trick on their EFI bootloader, you should not able to boot to ubuntu

5. But when you press Esc, then F9, then you will see Ubuntu option

.............................. =.=

So

Just press Esc when you boot your laptop then F9 and shall be able to boot into Ubuntu.........

HP Recommended

Wait what? Why is it this complicated. The default way is to install grub2 with the distributed tools and change the boot order.

I'am struggling with this a while and its absolutely no solution to sit by and press a key while my system boots. What is the easiest way to install say grub2 on a HP laptop and just letting it boot without loosing the oportunity to boot a well known hated proprietaery system?

HP Recommended

Could it help to change the Grub Timeout setting. Here's a great link that shows a step-by-step:

How do I set the grub timeout and the grub default boot entry?

Let me know the results when you get a chance 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello AxshunJaxun,

Thnaks for your reply. The problem is not the timeout of grub I don't even come to grub2 by default. I have to press Escape at boot and then choose boot from EFI file and select the grub file manually.

The problem is that the laptop is booting into Win8. Even when I change the boot order of the EFI system. I show now what I do to add grub to my bootorder and how I change it.

As long when my system is unchanged the boot order is as followed:

LinuxBox64x4 / # efibootmgr 
BootCurrent: 003D
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 3001,2001,2002
Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0002* Notebook Hard Drive
Boot0003* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)
Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk

Here it is clearly seen that the internal hard drive will boot when starting the pc.

Now I add grub to the boot order:

LinuxBox64x4 / # grub2-install --target x86_64-efi --efi-directory /boot/EFI/ --boot-directory /boot/EFI/
BootOrder: 0000,3001,2001,2002
Boot0000* fritzmark
Installation finished. No error reported.

The new entry is fritzmark as I set it in some config and it is the first in the boororder.

Anyway just to be sure I change the bootorder to:

LinuxBox64x4 / # efibootmgr -o 0000,3001,2001,2002
Boot0000* fritzmark

And even set the boot next entry:

LinuxBox64x4 / # efibootmgr -n 0000               
BootNext: 0000
Boot0000* fritzmark

Now it should be clear the the fritzmark system should be booted as next. But whats happen is. A guess? Right Win8 will boot. After checking the bootorder afterwards you will get the same list as in my first code block.

Now the problem is that my laptop magically changes the bootorder of EFI by itself. This is not good and I hope not intended.

My question is what have I to do to set grub2 as my default boot manager. It can boot Win8 for me so I can use it! Its ca. factor 20 faster than the loader with the ugly HP icon so I will be faster. I already found some magic in the web with setting the bootorder from win8 but I don|t think this should be needed. There must be a way to do this linux only.

I hope you can help me based on the informations I gave you.

P.s.: I am using gentoo as base system so things like boot-repair from Ubuntu are not an real option.

P.p.s.:

Here is my BIOS information am I outdated? I nowhere found information which could be the current BIOS I need for my HP Pavilion.

LinuxBox64x4 / # hwinfo --bios
01: None 00.0: 10105 BIOS                                       
  [Created at bios.186]
  Unique ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  Hardware Class: bios
  BIOS Keyboard LED Status:
    Scroll Lock: off
    Num Lock: on
    Caps Lock: off
  Base Memory: 637 kB
  PnP BIOS: SST2400
  MP spec rev 1.4 info:
    OEM id: "Insyde"
    Product id: "Pumori"
    1 CPUs (0 disabled)
  BIOS32 Service Directory Entry: 0xef725
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

HP Recommended

I recenty brought an HP Laptop touchsmart 14-b172 tx. It has preinstalled Windows 8, at beginning it has only one partition, I used windows Disk Management Utility to shrink the volume and created a second partition of about 150 GB. When I try to install ubuntu alongside it, Ubuntu does not recognize the partition created by windows and shows the hardrive as a single unit. HP Technical Support is not helping me. They said they do not support this feature.

Please help.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello NareshD

The reason you cannot see the partition in Ubuntu is because Windows and Ubuntu use different formats. To be able to see a partition in Ubuntu you need to create it in a format that Ubuntu can read. I am providing you with a link here on how to partition for Linux which is what Ubuntu is based on. Give it a read it should answer all your questions.

I hope this helps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Hello NareshD,

What Dunidar writes is not completely correct. Of course can Ubuntu read the partitions of Windows. Probably the following guide will help you:

Mounting windows partitions in Ubuntu

If you repartition your harddrive following the guide given by Dunidar it can and mostly surely will destroy all the Data on your windows partition. Further will your Windows unbootable afterwards because its gone!

Just for clarification. You can read/write Windows (NTFS) partitions with Linux and in Ubuntu it should be enabled by default.

Be carefull when working with partitioning tools they can make your data unaccesable very fast.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.