Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have been battling to dual boot a number of linux's without success. If all this is true then the HP-15-n265sa I purchased is not fit for purpose and I'm done with HP. I need to re-check the details of the HP license, as far as I'm concerned this feature is a restraint, if I had known this from the get-go I also would have purchased another brand.

HP Recommended

this did not solve anything for me. i would post my solution some other way but don't know how. this worked

i did not disable secre boot nor fastboot

i did uncheck time to

@hprageuser wrote:

Hp envy 6 sleekbook 6z 1100

I have already disable the secure boot in the BIOS

But I still cannot install the ubuntu 13.04

The installation was good and smooth

But after reboot, there is no boot menu appear for me to choose which OS I want to boot

I wonder if HP locked something.........:( or should I turn on Legacy support in the BIOS? But ubuntu 13.04 should support EFL BIOS

I need Ubuntu for work!

this is for an HP Envy TS Notebook PC

OK after months of trying Success! 1st im still somewhat of a noob although ive using Ubuntu since 2006.

1st I tried everything else: (none of this worked)

1.disable secure boot, and fastboot

2.legacy mode Was able to get to grub through bios (which to me is not dual booting proper

3.mounting Ubuntu to efi partition --same thing as 2

4.creating a separate boot partition --didn't work

5.easybcd was no help

6.boot-repair no help

and 7. I became fed up with the hole thing and installed Ubuntu wiping out windows altogether.

then I read on various places on the internet you don’t have to disable secure boot and easybcd wont work with UEFI. also trying to fix it with boot-repair will only make matters worse (which it did in my case)..

soo.. after reading this I decided I would give it one more try..

so I took my backup copy of windows 8 and reinstalled windows

and it came up with a funky choose "windows 8.1" or "HP update and recovery" as separate OS's

which i found annoying so decided to get rid of the HP choice and

went into system settings using the file browser

and under "this pc" (right click)/ advanced system settings/ startup and recovery - I unchecked "time to display list of OS's" to get rid of HP recovery option.

I then installed UbuntuGnome on a separate partition using the "something else" option

and used the windows boot loader: dev/sda and the result was it worked!

I’m not sure which or all of the steps that are necessary. I will investigate and keep you posted

HP Recommended

Well good luck, glad you got somewhere. The point is none of this should be necessary, the specification, performance and utility of the equipment was knowingly misrepresented by HP, in that important information relating to the performance of the equipment was deliberately witheld from consumers, who, had they been aware of this feature of the equipment may have chosen a more suitable alternative. We've been conned plain and simple.

HP Recommended

I found that on my HP Pavilion 15-f039wm laptop, that I actually could use BIOS settings to persistently get the Ubuntu Grub boot menu without pressing F9.  However it wasn't obvious how to do that.

I use F10 to get the BIOS Settings, then cursor to and press Enter to select "BIOS Options".  There is shows a UEFI Boot Order section with varios options that can be rearranged with F5/F6.  The 'hidden feature' is that if I highlighted the option for "OS Boot Manager" and pressed Enter, I got a pop-up that showed entries for "ubuntu" and "Windows Boot Manager".   I use F5/F6 to put "ubuntu" on top, then press F10 to save and close the pop-up.  Press F10 again to save and exit from BIOS Settings.

Now without any intervention, the machine boots to the Grub Menu and from there, to Ubuntu.  I can also boot to Windows from the Grub Menu, or get a secure boot pressing F9 and power on, which gives me the UEFI Boot Manager menu with options for ubuntu and Windows boot manager.

Now I understand that it was those BIOS settings that kept the UEFI BootOrder that I set in Ubuntu with efibootmgr from persisting to the next boot.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I can't run EasyBCD on my system, Even though I disabled secureboot and enabled legacy BIOS. Easy BCD can't initalise dual boot and says secure boot is enabled

HP Recommended

I was able to get it to run without disabling Fast Boot / Secure Boot / enabling legacy Boot.

To do that:

1. Installed Ubuntu to EFI partition

2. Shut down, pressed F10 on boot

3. In system configuration, you can see the boot order

4. A triangle should appear on the OS boot option, which means you can access its sub menu. Press ENTER (this was the part I was having trouble getting)

5. Windows Boot Manager and Ubuntu should show up. Switch the orders with F5/F6 and press F10 to save and exit the sub menu

6. Press F10 again

7. ???

8. Profit

HP Recommended

This does not work for me. In my BIOS, there is no triangle in the OS part of the Boot Order.

I just updated to the latest BIOS, still I cannot change anything there. Only way is by pressing f9

HP Recommended

Just press Esc when you boot your laptop then F9 and shall be able to boot into Ubuntu.........

This step working for me, my system is COMPAQ

Thank you

HP Recommended

I have dual booted hp desktops and laptops many times. When you resize the windows partition do not format it. just leave it as unpartitioned space and the installer for ubuntu will see it and offer the install along side windows option. however you may have to change the efi boot order in the bios to get the grub2 menu.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.