Question

Honor Student
silvern18
Message 1 of 9 (4,396 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to empty the recovery partition

Good evening!

I would like to know if there is a way to empty the recovery partition on my Dv1672ea (Windows XP Home) in order to use it as a drive for personal files.

I don't want to delete the partition and merge the D drive with the C drive, I just want to empty it and use it as it is.

I've already done the recovery CDs (and I regularly clone my C drive on a USB hdd).

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 9 (4,388 Views)

Re: How to empty the recovery partition

Please perform the following steps:

1. Open Disk Management by Right Clicking "My Computer" and selecting "Manage."

2. Click on "Storage" and "Disk Management."

3. Find the Recovery Drive partition. There are usually two partitions: the "C: partition" and the "HP_RECOVERY D: partition."

4. Right-click on "HP_RECOVERY D:" and select "Format."

5. Choose the File system and Allocation Unit Size and click "OK." The HP Recovery Drive partition will format and be available for your specified use.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Honor Student
silvern18
Message 3 of 9 (4,349 Views)

Good morning,

Yesterday I did everything you said, and it worked.

Today, however, I found the HP partition again and it is again filled with all the files.

Any clue?

Do I have to uninstall the recovery manager?

Thanks again.

PS During the process, I found an hidden partition of 1gb. Is it for quickplay? As I don't use it, can I merge it with the HP recovery partition and try to format both?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 9 (4,331 Views)

If you right click on those files and go to properties it would probably show that there's is nothing in them. Go to my computer, open the recovery partition and right click to delete the files. You should also be able to format the recovery partition from Computer with out having to go to disk management again.

There are some other things to try, but do these things first.

Honor Student
silvern18
Message 5 of 9 (4,325 Views)

The D partition (HP_RECOVERY) is still full. It has the same free space as before (513mb out of 5,17gb).

I cannot look inside it unless I use DOS as, if I try to open with windows, I get the annoying popup windows (HP_RECOVERY message).

Everything is just like it was before. It seems as I didn't format it!

Is there anything running at the startup that check the partition and then, if necessary, restore it?

It deleted also 1 file I left in the D drive after having formatted it!

(Sorry for my poor english!)

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 9 (4,310 Views)

Try using Partition Wizard to empty the recovery partition.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Being third party software, XP may not reinstall the contents.

The other thing that may work is Vidya's solution, but change the name or/and the drive letters to the partition so Windows won't recognize the partition.

Intern
The7
Message 7 of 9 (4,291 Views)

[ Edited ]

You may try as suggested in:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810298&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

Remove recovery partition
If you plan on changing the operating system, you can remove the recovery partition, which deletes the HP Recovery Manager, to increase the space on the primary (C: ) drive by following the steps below.
  • Click Start , enter Recovery in the search field, and click Recovery Manager when it appears in the program list to open the Recovery Manager window.
  • Click Advanced options .
  • Select the Remove recovery partition option and click Next .
  • When prompted to verify that you want to delete the partition, select the Yes option, and click Next .
  • Allow the removal process to continue and restart the PC.
  • The recovery partition and all file on the partition will be deleted.

Use Windows Computer Management to remove a partition

With Windows 7 and Vista, you can use the Windows Computer Management function to delete the recovery partition. All the space on the hard drive is then available as the C: drive.
  • Click Start , right-click Computer , and then select the Manage option.
  • In the left panel of the Computer Management window, double-click Storage to expand the options.
    click Disk Management to display a list of partitions, also called Volumes .
  • Right-click the Recovery partition (D: ) , and select the Delete Volume option.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to delete the partition, and the allow the computer to restart.

• CAUTION: Because removing a partition destroy files, not all users can perform this action. See the Microsoft support web site for information on creating and deleting partitions.
    Honor Student
    silvern18
    Message 8 of 9 (4,220 Views)

Good evening.

Everything is now fine. I formatted the D partition again (in MY COMPUTER it was 5,77gb, in DISK MANAGEMENT it was 6,77gb because I merge the hidden 1gb partitiion) and I disabled CPQSET.EXE from startup.

I don't know if this was the right way, but now everything is just as I want.

Thanks to everyone!

Intern
    The7
    Message 9 of 9 (4,194 Views)

Glad that you have it solved.

I did mine in the following steps:

1) Unintall the recovery management via the control panel in the PC (Win 7)

2) Remove the SSD and use another PC(XP) to delete the recovery partition using the disk management.

3) Using  the disk management to format this partition and give it a drive name.

4) Put it back into the original PC(Win 7) and there exists an extra logical drive with the same GB as the recovery partition.

5) Then there are two logical drives in one SSD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation