Question

Top Student
feytus
Message 1 of 5 (7,296 Views)

How to format and freshly install Windows 7?

Hello people! I recently bought a HP Pavillion dv7-3120 - but I can't stand all the pre-installed stuff on it that keeps bugging me about updating this and that all the time, and the pre-made structure in Windows is driving med crazy (why on earth are there for instance two Program Files-folders, one with x86 behind it?, it's just confusing to me). So, how do I go about formatting the entire thing and install a fresh version of Windows 7 on it? I really wanted to install Windows XP on it, but have read around, and it seems to be almost impossible to do finding all the correct drivers for it etc, which is a pity.

I just really need to have a clear overview of my own computer, otherwise I can't work well on it. Any tips on what I should do? :smileyhappy: Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Grad Student
nascar4u
Message 2 of 5 (7,287 Views)

Re: How to format and freshly install Windows 7?

feytus wrote:

Hello people! I recently bought a HP Pavillion dv7-3120 - but I can't stand all the pre-installed stuff on it that keeps bugging me about updating this and that all the time, and the pre-made structure in Windows is driving med crazy (why on earth are there for instance two Program Files-folders, one with x86 behind it?, it's just confusing to me). So, how do I go about formatting the entire thing and install a fresh version of Windows 7 on it? I really wanted to install Windows XP on it, but have read around, and it seems to be almost impossible to do finding all the correct drivers for it etc, which is a pity.

I just really need to have a clear overview of my own computer, otherwise I can't work well on it. Any tips on what I should do? :smileyhappy: Anything would be greatly appreciated!

there for instance two Program Files-folders, one with x86 behind it?, the reason for this in windows 7 is the x86 are older non064bit applications and will be there in a standard install of windows 7.

if you want just windows 7 and no HP stuff you'll need to BUY a copy of windows 7

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 3 of 5 (7,272 Views)

Just to elaborate a little further on nascar4u's answer.

There are two program files because one is for 32 bit applications (program file x86) and the other just labeled "program files" is for 64 bit. This is so you can still run older 32 bit applications when there are no 64 bit one around. It's very necessary and all 64 bit operating systems are this way. It's not just Windows 7. Also, see this thread about HP software.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/HP-Advisor/m-p/237603#M34502

Read the last post on page one. You may find it useful.

Another good thing about Windows 7 that XP or Vista doesn't have is the boot manager is in a separate partition. So what ever happens in drive "C" this important set of commands will always remain in tact and you can repair your computer.

Personally I never found what was so fantastic about XP. I find it very difficult to locate things in XP.  When it first came out the public out-cry was great. People soon forget though.

Honor Student
HPPaviliondv7
Message 4 of 5 (4,795 Views)

Hello, i have a question pretaining to your answer. I am worried my new hp dv7-6135dx laptop might have viruses, i dont want to get any fixes and i want to start all over (i know it sounds stupid). So i wanted to ask is that if i reformatted my hp laptop will it lose all the hp assistance programs and stuff? i dont wnat to lose these helpful applications and was wondering if they will be deleted or not :smileyfrustrated: thank you and please reply quick...

Student
Rao_mohan
Message 5 of 5 (2,574 Views)

Hardware not working and backup date fell

iam purches last year 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation