How to format hard drive without clearing OS? (350 Views)
Honor Student
ScoobyDoo27
Message 1 of 2 (350 Views)

How to format hard drive without clearing OS?

My computer lately has been running really slowly. It'll take really long starting up and loading. It runs really slow. I've had it for almost a year and figured it was time to clear the hard drive and start fresh. Now, on my old computers I could just shut it down and then when it was starting up I would click the F10(?) button and it would allow me to delete all the stuff on my hard drive and start fresh without any CD's. Now, on this comptuer I cannot figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. 

I have a Pavilion dv6 notebook running Windows 7. 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (346 Views)

Re: How to format hard drive without clearing OS?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The three main ways to reinstall the operating system can be found in the document on he link below - often, the easiest one is the 'f11 method' where you shut down the notebook and tap away at f11 as soon as you press the power button to launch Recovery Manager.  As all these methods are 'desteuctive' back-up all your personal files etc first.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01895783#RestoreWithinWindow...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation