Question

Tutor
AdamB_UK
Message 1 of 4 (996 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to license Win 7 Pro on an HP 4540s laptop which came with Win 8 Pro 64 bit (no coa)?

OK,

so i bought a lovely new laptop from HP... 4540s I5 - very nice -except it comes with Windows 8 Pro 64 bit which sadly will not run any of the core things i need this laptop for due to driver problems. So no problem. I have downgrade rights on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I have Windows 7 retail media and an existing license I can use during the install (although this license is also in use on my other machine).

So I install windows 7. No problem.

Add alll the laptop drivers. No problem.

Now comes the part where I am supposed to install the license to activate.

I use the licence key I've already got enabled on my other laptop (albeit that's running windows 7 32 bit).

It enables! Shock. It should not have as my other machine is using this license.

Anyhow. I want to be able to use the 'downgrade' rights on the Windows 8 Pro 64 bit license and apply it to the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit install I am now running. Althougth it's allowed there does not seem to any procedure for someone without a physical windows 8 COA to downgrade to Windows 7.

So can someone please advise how i can resolve this. I've called Microsoft a few times and seem to end up on hold because nobody can answer my question.

How do you license a Windows 7 install when you don't have a windows 8 COA?

Surely someone must have hit this already.

Please advise.

Adam

Tutor
AdamB_UK
Message 2 of 4 (986 Views)

Re: How to license Win 7 Pro on an HP 4540s laptop which came with Win 8 Pro 64 bit (no coa)?

[ Edited ]

Well,

eventually spoke to someone in Microsoft tech support who told me I should be speaking to HP in order to obtain a valid windows 7 pro 64 product key. However as I'd been waiting on hold for nearly an hour he was good enough to go through the process on HP's behalf and was able to give me a new key.

But if you need to do this then I guess the official route is to contact HP and ask for a key. And apparently they should also be able to provide you with Windows 7 media if you request it.

hope that helps.

Ad

PhD Student
Mista B
Message 3 of 4 (976 Views)

Re: How to license Win 7 Pro on an HP 4540s laptop which came with Win 8 Pro 64 bit (no coa)?

Really doubt HP will be much help in supplying Generic Windows & media but not hard to download:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and/Reagrding-Windows-7-setup/m-p/1949821#M1...

Microsoft site on downgrade is clear as mud ...

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=cdQB0UeLFi...

Like my post? Click Kudos (thumb+) to show appreciation.
Tutor
AdamB_UK
Message 4 of 4 (953 Views)

Indeed, the process and responsibilties for WHO should provide downgrade support and a licence key is NOT clear. I pointed this out to both the MS techie (who sorted me out in the end - thanks) and also in the feedback to MS on the case after it was closed. However this is (IMHO) an appauling state of affairs for users who end up with a laptop running Windwos 8 but can't use it. I cannot believe there seems to such a lack of support from either the hardware supplier or software vendor on this issue. I appreciate we'll all be running the new OS at some point but for me (and my driver requirements) it's not an option today (believe me i tried). Just seems like consumers have been left high and dry on this one sadly...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation