Question

Top Student
JustAnotherDude
Message 1 of 2 (3,805 Views)

How to remove "HP Support Assistant" software?

Can anybody tell me how to properly remove the "HP Support Assistant" software?

I have 3 HP computers here in the office, all of which are barely out of warranty, and all of which have a lot of problems lately. Getting support from HP seems to be impossible, so I am hoping somebody here can help.

Every time the computers are powered up, the "HP Support Assistant" runs, consuming 100% of CPU and making the machines unusable for several minutes. The computers are running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Home Premium, and Vista Home Premium, if that makes a difference. The "HP Support Assistant" produces a pop-up error message after 5 to 7 minutes, telling us:

"We are sorry! HP Support Assistant can only be run by one user at a time. Please switch to the user that is currently running HP Support Assistant and close the program before you start HP Support Assistant on the other user you choose."

But in every case, there is only 1 user account, and only 1 user ever uses each machine. All three of these HP computers began to do this within a week after their respective warranty had expired. I've been trying to get an answer from HP since April 2011, with no luck at all.  Because the machines are now out of warranty, I would like to remove any/all HP software that is not absolutely necessary, especially the HP Support Assistant which has never been anything but trouble.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions you can offer.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (3,784 Views)

Re: How to remove "HP Support Assistant" software?

Hi,

Download and install the free version of Revo Uninstaller from the link below.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-freeware-version.php

Run revo and use it to uninstall any HP software you don't want.  Right click on the icon of the program you wish to remove and select Uninstall.  During the process you may be asked to delete registry entries, just select all and then click delete.  Do the same for any left over files and folders.  Once the uninstall has completed, reboot the PC.  Repeat as required.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation