Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp 15 Laptop
Windows 7

Is it possible to turn off the battery charging mode on my Hp 15 Laptop when using as desktop?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If your notebook has a removeable battery, simply remove the battery and connect the power adapter to use the notebook as a desktop.

Most people, myself included, leave the battery in place.  As long as you use the notebook as a mobile device once in a while and let it completely charge and discharge periodically, the battery will be fine. Used in that manner, the battery should last two to three years or more.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If your notebook has a removeable battery, simply remove the battery and connect the power adapter to use the notebook as a desktop.

Most people, myself included, leave the battery in place.  As long as you use the notebook as a mobile device once in a while and let it completely charge and discharge periodically, the battery will be fine. Used in that manner, the battery should last two to three years or more.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Mine's a slightly different issue.  I am running Windows 8.1 on an HP Pavilion laptop, 18 months old, not heavily used.   Until yesterday it worked fine on battery as well as mains.  The battery is fully charged.   It won't now work on battery power (it dies immediately if I pull the lead out, and won't start on battery).   I discover the cat was nesting on the keyboard yesterday while the machine was still operating!

Is there any 'battery disable' function on the keyboard which the cat might have triggered?   Either way, has anyone any suggestions - I am not convinced that if I buy a new battery it will fare any better?   I have removed and replaced the existing to no effect - as said, the laptop reports that it is fully charged. 

Any help gratefully received

HP Recommended

I suggest using the PC Hardware Diagnostics to test the battery and notebook.

Press the power button (from a shut down state) and immediately begin tapping the F2 key to invoke the Diagnostics menu.  Run the Extensive test and then the battery test.

Is your notebook still in warranty?

Check your warranty status Here.

There are not keystrokes that would disable the installed battery.

Your cat is in the clear on this one.  🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.