Question
I cannot access my function keys without hitting 'fn' key first. How do I fix that?
Replies (18)

Tutor
Christophian
Message 11 of 19 (18,563 Views)

Re: I cannot access my function keys without hitting 'fn' key first. How do I fix that?

Here is the first paragraph in Wikipedia on the fn key. "Fn, or 'Function', is a modifier key on many keyboards, especially on laptops, used in a compact layout to combine keys which are usually kept separate. It is typically found on laptops, since a full-sized keyboard would be difficult to fit in a laptop chassis. It is also found in many full-sized 'multimedia' and 'office' keyboards, named F-Lock key. It is mainly for the purpose of changing display or audio settings quickly, such as brightness, contrast, or volume, and is held down in conjunction with the appropriate key to change the settings." 

You see that here also I says you hit the fn key to access display or audio settings. However on my Envy, I dont have hit the fn key first.

Tutor
Christophian
Message 12 of 19 (18,560 Views)

Re: I cannot access my function keys without hitting 'fn' key first. How do I fix that?

I found another statement on the internet on the fn key (also called f-lock) "The F Lock key is a hardware switch in the keyboard. Its state cannot be controlled programmatically. Its default condition is "off". 

How do I get my Envy back to the default position of off?

Tutor
Christophian
Message 13 of 19 (18,557 Views)

Did my clarifications help you understand what my problem is?

Provost
erico
Message 14 of 19 (18,549 Views)

[ Edited ]

As I said before BIOS holds the key to determining the function of the key.

Go into the BIOS and see if you can set the action keys function.

regards,
erico

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Message 15 of 19 (18,413 Views)

See "FN + F5 Question" for the answer. There is a BIOS setting to fix this.

Honor Student
ShadowKatmandu
Message 16 of 19 (18,122 Views)

I found this works at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/134495-Cant-use-my-F-keys-without-pressing-fn

1. Press the power button to turn your computer on
2. Press F10 key to enter BIOS setup screen
3. Use the left right arrow keys to navigate to “System Configuration”
4. Use the up down arrow keys to navigate to the “action keys Mode”
5. Press “Enter” to open the Enabled / Disabled menu
6. Use up down arrow keys to select “Disable”
7. Press the F10 key
8. Use arrow keys to select “Yes”
9. Press “Enter” to save changes and start windows

Now the F1 through F12 keys should all work as they should with just a single press without the fn key.

Tutor
Christophian
Message 17 of 19 (18,110 Views)

Finally, the right answer! Awesome. Thank you.

Student
munchiesnOOb
Message 18 of 19 (14,937 Views)

At what point do I press f10? Seriously, I have seen like ten people telling others that this is the fix, but at no point do they tell them when to press f10. I pressed, tapped, mashed, and held f10 with and without the fn key depressed between pressing the power button and the desktop loading (windows 8, that is) and nothing has happened. at all. please help.
Student
Lhumphrey
Message 19 of 19 (12,785 Views)

This did not work for me. I checked the BIOS and it was set to enable yet when I go to IE, i have to use the fn key + the f5 key to have it work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation