Question

Student
Mbahshp
Message 1 of 2 (786 Views)

I have hp Pavilion dv6 intel core i3. How do I boost my notebook?

I have hp Pavilion dv6 intel core i3. How do I boot my notebook?

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 2 (781 Views)

Re: I have hp Pavilion dv6 intel core i3. How do I boost my notebook?

Please post your full model number for us so we can look it up. Notebooks are compact devices and upgrades are more difficult to do than desktops. The first think you should try is adding more memory. I would like to know what operating system you are using and how much memory you have now.  Windows XP would operate with less memory than Vista which would operate on less memory than Windows 7. The newer the operating system the more resources it need to handle the increased tasks it tries to perform.  If you have a 32 bit operating system the maximum amount of memory you can use is 3 gigs of memory (3.5 with software patch). 64 bit operating systems depending on if it is home, premium, professional, business, ultimate go from 16 Gigs to I think 192 gigs (should actually look things like this up but I didn't). If you notebook was designed to have a higher processor in it, the heatsink may be adequate enough to accept an i5 or i7 upgrade but we would need to make sure your notebook could handle the added heat the more powerful processor would put out. How much of a boost in performance and speed and if you expect to play high performance games would be nice to know. Games are very dependant on the graphic chip/card and those are not usually changeable.  Let us know your thoughts.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation