Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion g7 -1178 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please help me find old version of HP Assistant!!!!!!!

The new version of HP Assistant does not work properly or have any tools or tune ups like the old version I had.  I tried to find it on my computer but only the new version is there because I deleted the old windows system files.  The new version does not ask for which country I am in or anything that the website says it should ask for and what it is supposed to have included.  Please help me find a link to the old version of the HP Assistant that I had with Windows 7 Home Premium addition.  Its the Pavillion g7-1178ca notebook that i purchased in 2011, therefore there are no updates or drivers available for it from HP.  I can't find any way to do the "tune up" which i did on a regular basis, it is no where on the new version with windows 10.  Thank you for your help and time.  I live in Canada.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Niki:

Nothing is ever easy, is it!

Unfortunately, I have no idea what all that stuff means either.

I was hoping it would just work.

When you look at the list of supported PC's that version is supposed to work with, I figured it would work for your model too.  While it does not list the g6 or g7 series as supported, it shows much older models supported by this software.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp68001-68500/sp68201.cva

Now, I wonder if you actually need to activate the older net framework 3.5  version from within W10...

To install net framework 3.5 in W10, you do it from the control panel>programs and features>turn windows features on or off>check to add net framework 3.5 which also includes the older versions.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP seems to have removed most of the older versions of the HP Support Assistant.

I found this one on a 3rd party website from 2011. 

It will download sp49905 which is no longer available on HP's FTP site.

http://download.cnet.com/HP-Support-Assistant-Desktop-Computers/3000-18513_4-75558682.html

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, I gave it a go but it didn't work.  I appreciate your time and help, thanks very much, Niki

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Niki.

Try this one...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52001-52500/sp52387.exe

5.1.10.7 Rev. A(13 May 2011)

HP Recommended

Just so you know, we're getting a LOT of posts from folks who have upgraded their HP machines to Win10 and find out that the HP Support Assistant app no longer works for them.  So, we have been posting links to the Win10 version for them.

It could be that HP is cleaning up the older version links simply because they no longer work in Win10.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Dear WAWood, Thank you so much for your Reply !  Could you please send me in the direction of  where you have been posting links for the updated version for Windows 10.   Again, thank you very much for your help, much appreciated, sincerely Niki

HP Recommended

Hi, Niki;

Now that we know that older versions of the HPSA don't work on W10, here is the link to the updated version.

If you bookmark this page, this will always have the latest version on it.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html#.VhJ4d2aFO9I

On the right side of the page in blue lettering are the download links for either notebook or desktop PC's.

HP Recommended

Dear Paul, thank you very much for the link for the new windows 10 HP Ass.  I installed it, restarted my laptop then went to open it and all  that happened was the logo blinked on my screen for 2 seconds and disappeared.  I went too my control panel, Programs and features and it was listed there with 2.66 MB but no version.  I have searched my computer everywhere and can not find it.  While I was in the Programs list, I refreshed it, then restarted but that did not help. 

So I downloaded the link again, said "replace All", a pop up menu came up that said "The process can not access the file because it is being used by another process", I hit ok and then it continued to install again as it did the first time.  When it was finished i restarted my computer, then tried to open it and got the same result, the logo just blinked on the screen for a second and disappeared.  When I right click on the blue question mark icon and hit "open" I get the same result.

What am I doing wrong?  Please help, thank you for all your time and patience helping me,

sincerely Niki

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Niki.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions to offer regarding the program not working.

You may have run into a new problem in that your notebook may be too old to run the latest version of the Support Assistant. 

Since your notebook was not designed to run windows 10, the W10 HPSA software may not work on your model.

You didn't do anything wrong from what I can tell.  You just double-click the exe file and the program installs, and then it should work.

I suggest you go to the uninstall programs menu in the control panel and uninstall the software for now.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion for you. 

HP Recommended

Ok Paul, thank you so very much for all your help.  I truly appreciate all the time you spent trying to help me with this issue.  It really is too bad, I used HPSA a lot, especially the "Tune Up" on a regular basis.  I am not happy with HP that they do not have any updated drivers or software for products sold before 2013, this makes our lives much more time consuming and difficult.  Do they think that our computers are not worth their time?  Might have to rethink about what product to buy next time i purchase a laptop. You have been great, thank you again, take care,

Sincerely, Niki

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.