Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have purchased a new HP Compaq 15- s001tu laptop.

I want to know does my laptop support 64 bit Windows 7 ultimate OS.

I tried to install it a few times but failed. Now I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit OS and its working fine.

Please let me know does my hp model support 64 bit OS or not.

Also tell me how to check it in my system.

And will there be a problem in future if it does not support 64 bit OS ?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi

Click on the winows charm in the bottom left hand corner (Where the start button was in XP) and in the search field type msinfo32 (or if that doesnt work, try msinfo)

A screen will pop up and in the right hand pane it will tell you the system type X64-based PC will appear if you have a 64bit system. It should be the eight item down

Although I am an HP Employee, all views expressed are my own and are not on behalf of HP

Regards
Ty
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
HP Recommended

Hello again,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I did what you said and it says system type x86-Based PC that means it is 32-bit system.

Now I am confused because as per my research on the internet, this model (HP Compaq 15-s001tu) has 64-bit architecture and HP also provides drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8.1 64-bit for this model.

So its clear that it should be 64-bit system.

Please tell me what to do in this situation-

Should I return it to the seller ? or

Should I keep it ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

There may be a few variations on the same model, some with 64bit and some with 32bit motherboards.

Can you tell me the Product Number of your laptop?

This will be a two part number with the followimng format B0N00AA#ABU it will be near to your serial number. FRom this I can better tell you what is in your system

Although I am an HP Employee, all views expressed are my own and are not on behalf of HP

Regards
Ty
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
HP Recommended
Hey I liked to help with your system
Typically, 64 bit systems running windows 7 have at least 2GB of ram. That's one clue another is its graphics memory, typically 64 bit systems have at least 1GB of dedicated memory but it usually depends on your processing speed and ram amount but If you really want this laptop on 64 bit... add more ram
HP Recommended

Hello,

Below are the details -

Model - HP Compaq 15- s001tu Notebook PC

Serial No. - [Edited for Personal Information]

Product No. - G8D87PA#ACJ

Do Check and Let me know. Thanx Again

HP Recommended

Hello,

Let me tell you my Laptop config-

4 GB RAM
Intel i3 4th Gen 4010U Processor
Graphic Processor -  Intel HD Graphics 4400

Is it not sufficient to run 64-bit OS ?

Do reply.Thanks

HP Recommended

i,

From the information posted above, it would appear that your laptop is 64bit.

Follow this link to a forum discussion on how to get and install Windows 7 64 bit drivers:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Drivers-for-compaq-15-s001tu-no...

Regards
Ty
HP Recommended

Hello,

I know HP is providing drivers for Windows 64 bit for this model. But I dont know why it shows x86 based PC in my system.

Should I visit HP Care Center ??

HP Recommended

Hi

Try installing the 64 bit OS again and see if this changes it to show a 64 bit system.

You may need to completely reformat the drive, also check in the BIOS (Press F10 on boot up) and make sure that your drive is set to AHCI

The system properties may have been reading the OS properties rather than the system board properties as I thought.

Regards
Ty
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.