Question

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 1 of 28 (16,889 Views)

IE 9 and Consumer Notebooks

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

Just a few observations on IE 9 and consumer laptops,

The biggest impact related to IE9 is the use of new Windows technologies like Direct2D,

DirectWrite and XPS to render all standards-based web content – text, images, video and SVG

(Scalable Vector Graphics)  – using the power of the GPU.

This places emphasis on the graphics solution and the graphics driver installed in the system.

Scenario 1 - Supported GPU driver: IE9 will install with HW Acceleration enabled

Scenario 2 - Unsupported GPU driver: - SYMPTOM -  IE9 will install in Software Rendering mode or IE9 may crash at launch. Windows Live  applications may crash on launch after upgrade to IE9.

This is  Caused by HW Acceleration being enabled even though the graphics driver does not support it.

IE9 will by default install with HW Acceleration enabled.

ie9

IE9 will install with Software Rendering enabled if the GPU/driver version was included on the

SWFallBack list (list of GPU drivers that don’t support HW Acceleration). If so, the option is also

grayed out and can’t be changed. If customer later updates their video driver to one that supports

HW Acceleration then the setting is automatically updated.

Performance when using SW Rendering will be comparable to performance using IE8.

aa2.png

General Observations:

-Intel UMA systems with graphics drivers older than July 2010 will need driver update to support IE9 with HW Acceleration -Switchable Graphics systems will need driver update to support IE9 with HW Acceleration (for Intel GPU driver update)

IE9 crash after upgrade

A large effort was made to ensure that any systems tested as not supporting IE9 in HW Acceleration mode should automatically install in SW rendering mode.

There may be cases where a customer experiences that IE9 is crashing on launch after installation due to HW Acceleration being enabled when not supported.

aa3.jpg

IE9 / WIn lIve app - crash after upgrade - solution

Disable HW ACC settings through “Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Internet Options -> Advanced

-> Accelerated graphics” by checking “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering*” option.

aa4.png

Alternatively, uninstall IE9 through “Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> View installed updates”.

aa5.png

More updates when available

regards,

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
PhD Student
cnfrisch
Message 2 of 28 (16,834 Views)

Re: IE 9 and Consumer Notebooks

Thanks for posting this valuable information which led to a diagnois and future solution (graphics driver update) in this Microsoft Answers thread. :smileywink:

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 3 of 28 (16,790 Views)

Awesome ! thanks for the feedback

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Top Student
xaviers67
Message 4 of 28 (16,125 Views)

Hi,

IE 9 seems to be the most recently released browser, it have a very nice look, but it seems to be still lacking the security feature as it used to be earlier. It's good to see that the IE 9 have became much faster than earlier, even there should the themes like personas in firefox and th color lthemes in chrome etc.

Student
Invalid
Message 5 of 28 (15,452 Views)

IE9 installed on HP consumer notebook using Windows 7 OS. Problem since install, not able to print from email "Windows Live Mail" or any web pages or links. Get error  RES://ieframe.dll/preview.js" invalid argument...can the this problem be caused by the same graphic driver issue?

Honor Student
jguy99
Message 6 of 28 (15,340 Views)

I upgraded and now the scroll on my touchpad isn't working.  Do you know of anything I can do to restore this ability?

Teacher
RobAld
Message 7 of 28 (15,209 Views)

> not able to print from email "Windows Live Mail" or any web pages or links. Get error RES://ieframe.dll/preview.js" invalid argument...can the this problem be caused by the same graphic driver issue?

No.   My guess would be that you have an incompatible add-on.   Perhaps one of the HP web print add-ons?  Try starting an IE task by  Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:smileyhappy:   iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

Then try your print.  Hopefully that will be done under the task with the -extoff  switch which prevents all (compliant) add-ons from being loaded and therefore test your problem without the (possible) interference of add-ons.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Top Student
samurusawyer
Message 8 of 28 (14,623 Views)

Some Great IE 9 Features

All-around fast:- Fast and responsive web experiences for Windows.
Focused on your websites:- The new browser makes any website shine.
Seamless with Windows 7:- Pinned Sites, Jump Lists, and more—it all works together.
One Box:- Go to a web address or start a search—all from the same place.
Pinned Sites:- Get to your favorite sites in one click.
SmartScreen Filter:- Built-in protection helps keep you safer online.

Tutor
apple13140
Message 9 of 28 (14,483 Views)

Kudos!

I will take a try as you introduced.

IE9 is simple and fresh, however, install it on my old and poor laptop with with windows 7, running slower and slower and crashed often.

:smileyhappy:

Honor Student
wcknight
Message 10 of 28 (14,353 Views)

I have an interesting problem that I cannot resolve with IE 9, Chrome, Foxfire and my keyboard.  I just upgraded my Pavilion dv 7 laptop to Windows 7. After I did the upgrade my top row number keys (1 thru 0) will not function correctly. When I first start the browses and type a number using the top row keys, it will not register a keystroke, if I type a letter key, it will register  the letter correctly.  If I then type a number key, it will register the letter key I just typed.  If I type another letter key, works fine, type a number key, it will register the new letter key I just typed.  If I have Word or another program opened beside the browser, and switch to that program the keyboard functions just fine.  Switch back to the browser, same problem.  Have updated keyboard drivers, no help. What is the connection between the browsers and the keyboard?  Any suggestions on how to resolve would be appreciated.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation