Question

Honor Student
bassbuddy
Message 1 of 4 (67 Views)

If i upgrade from Vista to Windows 8, will I lose my backup partition?

My HP Vista laptop currently has a partition in the hard drive to wall off the recovery programs. If I install Windows 8, will it wipe out the partition and its protected sofware ? 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 4 (56 Views)

Re: If i upgrade from Vista to Windows 8, will I lose my backup partition?

[ Edited ]

It shouldn't,...  if you choose the upgrade option on the install disc.

But, ALWAYS ALWAYS, create some recovery discs with the HP recovery manager, then you will have a secondary back up in case things go wrong.

Also back up any photos or work you have on a flash drive, external hard drive etc.

For the most part when you choose the upgrade option, a file will be created called "Windows Old" this file will save the old OS with all your stuff on it, but I still like to back personal stuff up.

Also, there is probably still a file in drive "C" called "SwSetup" it has all you pre-installed software in there.

I like to burn that whole folder to disc.

Honor Student
bassbuddy
Message 3 of 4 (51 Views)

So if the partition remains, as well as the existing software, if I use the recovery feature it would reinstall Vista? Or would the upgrade overwrite it with Windows 8?  I shouldn't be so finicky - with the cost of computers these days if soemthing happened I'd probably just get a new one, but one likes to know what one is getting into! 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 4 (42 Views)

[ Edited ]

If the partition is still there after the upgrade to Windows 8, what you have to do to activate it.

The only thing that remains behind is the recovery partition _ the recovery manager will be gone, even if it's saved in the Windows Old file, it becomes inactive.

To do this _ go into Windows disc management and right click on the recovery partition and make it active _ restart and it should boot into the recovery partition and re-install Vista.

Most of the time this works, but not always. Create your recovery discs.

And with Windows 8, I find in order for the recovery discs, one has to wipe the drive on another machine, and then use the recovery discs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation